I was responsible for mainting our large database of M&A deals and IPOs through contacting lead managers and advisers.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It was the perfect mix of socializing, openness and responsibility. The company places much emphasis on each individual by providing them with the opportunities and support needed for development and having fun!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
All my colleagues were more than approachable and never inpatient. If I needed guidance or help they were happy to be there, offered me opportunities to attend meetings with them and I have always been included in the team meetings as well.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My mentor made sure to catch up with me every week formally, besides the fact that he made sure to give me challenging tasks in order to develop my skills. All the feedback was constructive and gave me a direction to start in life.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There is always something to do, but everyone is encouraged to ask for help if they do not manage to deal with the tasks given to them. It is not expected of anyone to sit in one place for hours without taking a 5 minute break in the pantry.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
From the moment I walked in I was given tasks where I had to interact with major financial advisers or banks, updating data which might affect directly the performance of the clients.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I developed will enable me to build a great network, also I have managed to learn how to communicate in an international and highly professional environment. Besides that, through the regular training and possibility to shadow anyone I gained valuable financial knowledge
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere is always buzzing, the environment is very dynamic and fresh. The free pantry gives you the opportunity to interact with your colleagues and take a break.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Everything has been planned for us, starting from introductory events, through awards, networking events, philantrophy and trainings. All of the aspect of a professional life you can think of has been included in the experience and everyone appreciated the effort put into it.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
From the first moment we had access to training, free courses, abstracts, seminars and shadowing sessions. It has been invaluable.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
If you like having fun, transparency, true meritocracy and a dynamic work environment combined with finance...go for it.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Besides networking events organized by the company, the interns went out by themselves to the local pubs and bars regularly.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Central London is not a cheap place to go out, but the restaurants/take-aways in the area are reasonably priced.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Numerous pubs, bars and restaurants within a short walking distance.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Sport clubs, networking events, seminars, philanthropy, gallery opening (in our own gallery)