1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed working in the client site, for such a well-known client name. People were always impressed when I told them who I was outsourced to!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues made me feel incredibly valued, often complimenting me on the skills I had so far (for an undergraduate) and my desire to learn more.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Some managers in my team treated me really well, gave me advice whenever they thought I needed it or sought it out. Although some barely spoke to me or acknowledged me, the others more than made up for this.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Some days I was too busy, with far too much to do and worked later than I wanted but some days dragged with a lack of work, it depended on what the client wanted on a given day. I nearly always worked 9-6 which was agreed at the beginning of the placement and worked fine for me.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given far more responsibility than I dreamed I'd get. I was given important roles during my time at Accenture and basically treat the same as an experienced graduate.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I was originally trained as a 'tester' and missed out on the Java training offered to some of the interns. I feel this will not help me with my studies. The company seemed reluctant to give training to an intern.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
We had fun but had to be very mindful that we were in the client office, working side-by-side with the client. We could make jokes (we had many in-jokes), people would bring in treats/snacks so it was a great environment for the majority of the time.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The company has a proper intern scheme, with dedicated people you can go to with questions so it works pretty well. My managers were aware I was an intern so they knew which tasks to give me most of the time. It was forbidden to mention this to the client though which often resulted in awkward conversations about when I graduated university....
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I spent 3 days training to be a tester which I didn't really want to do. I was annoyed I missed out on the Java training because of this and never received any more training after this. Colleagues were often more than happy to show new technologies but this wasn't official/structured training.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
They have offered me a job provided I get a 2:1 or above.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I made some excellent friends I will stay friends with forever.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
London was so expensive! Quite difficult for me on 17k as I didn't have any friends/family in London when I moved there.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
London is of course amazing.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
We had regular work events which were funded by work and practically always included a free bar tab, so we always had fun at those!