Working as part of a project team to deliver technology solutions for large multi-national resources company. Created key documents and deliverables, worked on practical testing and development as well as engaging clients/vendors/contractors and participating in regular meetings and calls to ensure the project develops and deadlines were met. Involved in every aspect of consultancy on offer to one degree or another.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The people you work with make (or break) most internships, at Accenture the people were brilliant, both colleagues and clients, I'll be sad to leave!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The more you put in, the more you prove yourself, the more responsibility you're given and the more your colleagues value your contribution.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Daily contact with my line manager and my 'buddy' (fellow Analyst) meant that I always had people to talk to and ask questions when I was unsure, the support network was fantastic.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was challenged but not overstretched, I was only given as much as I could handle, and although I was asked to do things unfamiliar to me, I was always given support needed, and ultimately I was given the opportunity to showcase my abilities.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given significant responsibility throughout the placement, producing key documents and carrying out key processes which enabled my projects to meet deadlines and deliverables. Felt like I made a real difference.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Huge help to understand what the industry is like and the kind of work consultants do. I think it will help me take a more driven and pro-active approach to Uni now I know what opportunities are out there post-degree.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The people make Accenture what is it, and they truly are the companies greatest asset. Everyone I met from Senior Executive level right down to Analyst was friendly, approachable and great to work with.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Fantastic effort made by HR. The first weeks intern training was diverse and engaging, and the regular socials, information sessions and meet ups for interns meant that peer-to-peer feedback and exchange was frequent, and HR are always there to help when needed. Extremely well structured.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Huge effort and expense goes into every intern they recruit. They invest significant time and money in you and the returns are fantastic. It's unbelievable how much you can grow in 8 weeks.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The conversion rate from intern to graduate offer is very high here. You go through the same process as graduate recruits to get onto the Summer vacation scheme, so realistically they already think you are good enough, and the 8 week scheme really allows you to prove that, as well as building useful contacts for the future if you return to work here after your degree.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Despite being the only intern on my client site, there were regular socials and constant interaction with peers meant that I didn't miss out.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I was living at my parents house for the duration of my internship so the cost was low, but even those interns based on projects which required them to stay away from home had a better deal if anything! All travel, accommodation and food expenses are covered when you stay-away during the week on your project.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I worked in the center of London so the nightlife can't really be beaten, especially with the Olympics coinciding with my placement!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Accenture encourage you to have a go at sports and social clubs (they have a wide variety). Though you're only here for 8 weeks you can still get involved.