1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement with BDO overall, the days were quite tiring but this is just the nature of full time work and commuting, not the placement itself.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was thanked for the work I did and given good feedback, and included enough to feel like part of the time.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
This varied a bit between who I was working with, but overall my seniors were really happy to give help and answer any questions I had. I definitely recommend asking questions rather than sitting in silence and struggling.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was busy on days when I went out to work with clients, but when in the office there was often not quite enough work to go round as the summer is a quiet season for audit
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a good amount of responsibilty on the placement, and was allowed to work on real jobs and interact with clients. This was one of the strongest points on the placement.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I developed were not particularly relevant to my degree studies, but I feel they are very transferable for my future career, and experience in any kind of finance is very valuable
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was very friendly, but people obviously work hard
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was well organised overall
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We were given a week of training at the beginning with all the interns from other offices, but I felt this could have been a bit more relevant to the work we were doing during the placement.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
BDO seem to give good future opportunities to their interns, but you do have to work hard and earn them.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The social scene seemed to be good in general
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The costs are slightly lower than London
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The office was quite isolated but people would drive to bars for drinks after work so it was still sociable
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
We were invited out for drinks and lunches, and also had the opportunity to join in with the annual football tournament