Hospitality/Events - serving the members at a country club in Florida USA
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It was the best year of my life but I couldn't have worked within this company for longer than a year.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I worked alongside a lot of employees from all across the world and even though at first there was a language barrier this was overcome & a brilliant working relationship was discovered.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
A lot of the time the management lacks communication skills & sometimes it felt like they were out of touch with what was actually going on at the bottom.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
In season, we were rushed off our feet, always. This was fun & motivating.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
We were in some ways but in others they didn't try and push for us to gain more responsibility because they knew at the end of the day we were leaving so therefore they didn't want to put the time and effort into training people that were going to be leaving the country.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It has helped immensely to put the written work into perspective and I think in hospitality and events industries, work experience is vital.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
If anybody got stressed it was the management not the trainees, so generally we all had fun & helped one another.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Some days felt so unorganised but in terms of the training programme this was fairly well organised and we did have weekly training meetings.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I got the exact same training as everyone else and they did put a fairly good amount of effort into making sure we had the experience to hear about all departments within Frenchmans Creek.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I couldn't have stayed longer than a year.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
It was the best year of my life & I met amazing people!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Palm Beach Gardens in Florida is one of the most expensive areas but we didn't have to pay rent so our money went quite far !
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Amazing !!!!!! Had the best nights.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There was a softball team you could be part of, but that was it I think?