Summer Intern - Commercial Banking at HSBC

Banking - Commercial

HSBC is a Top Employer

8.6/10

8.6

It depends very much on the centre you are placed in and how proactive you are about getting stuck in. My daily duties included a wide range of activities from supporting the Commercial Officers with day to day tasks to attending customer meetings with clients and writing credit reports for senior managers.

I really enjoyed it. My colleagues, the tasks I faced and the experience as a whole were really great.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 9 roles at HSBC

From the moment I walked in all of my colleagues were really friendly, supportive and welcoming, which made me settle in in no time.

Although my managers were busy running a large team, they still always found time for me to discuss tasks they had given me and to make sure I was getting the most out of the internship.

There is always plenty of interesting and chellenging work to be done, you just have to be proactive and help your colleagues out. As long as you talk to you're colleagues and are a 'team player' you'll never ever get bored.

I helped all levels of staff with their daily tasks and wrote credit report which are normally done only by senior staff. Of course they went through them with me before they were sent off to get approval, but I was never treated like 'just an intern'.

Not coming from a finance background, especially the financial insights I gained during the internship are invaluable. The skills I have learnt will definitely be applicable in any area of business I might work in in the future.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 9 roles at HSBC

The atmosphere in my office was very pleasant, with everybody getting on extremely well with everybody else. Especially during the Olympics the atmosphere and the shared enthusiasm was brilliant!

The internship as a whole was very well organised.

I felt very valued by the company and it is obvious that the interns are regarded as future leaders within the Bank so personal training and development is very high on the agenda.

HSBC is not rated No 1 for graduate programmes in the financial sector for nothing! Especially the Executive Trainee scheme in which you do 4 placements in different ares across the business over 2 years, with the option of going abroad for one of them, is extremely appealing.

Thanks to the intern and community days and networking events organised, I have kept in touch with interns from last summer and made really good friends and contactsfor the future again this summer.

I was wokring in London, so naturally the cost of living are quite high. However that does not stop people socialising outside of work.

It's London, if you can't find a place you like to go out here, you won't find anything anywhere.

Once again, living in the capital, there is plenty going on.