This review was submitted over 4 years ago, so some of the information it contains may no longer be relevant.

3.4/5
  • The Role
    4.4
  • The Company
    3.1
  • The Culture
    2.4

This summer I worked in Operational Risk. I have familiarised myself with a variety of operational risk indicators and have taken part in processes to monitor and manage these risks. One of these was the annual self-certification process within which each business area in Finance has to certify that they are adhering to the risk control standards prescribed to them. Another was the global balance sheet sign-off and verification (GBSOV) process, for which I reviewed the ownership structure to ensure that the responsibility for signing off balance sheet items rests with the right people.

• 1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
  • Very friendly atmosphere, great training and guidance.

• 2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
  • Was given serious work to do, but not put under as much pressure as I expected.

• 3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
  • Fantastic guidance and support. Whenever I did not understand anything I could ask someone on my team, they would then grab a blank piece of paper and draw diagrams to explain whatever I had difficulty understanding.

• 4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
  • Very good balance, although could have used a little bit more work.

• 5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
  • Sufficient individual responsibility to prove my worth and opportunities to work in a team also.

• 6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
  • Fantastic learning experience in managing time, relationships in a professional setting.

• 7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
  • Perfect balance between work and fun.

• 8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
  • Very smooth internship - except for one event cancellation there were no hitches and the programme ran as expected.

• 9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
  • I could not have asked for more from UBS. They provided individual training, access to senior managers, talks by leaders, etc.

• 10. What were the perks on your work placement?

• 11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
  • Hiring is significantly depressed - very low conversation rate from internship to full-time.

• 12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
  • The other interns were very high quality individuals, perfect to spend time with.

• 13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
  • London very expensive.

• 14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
  • Lot of pubs and areas for kicking back around the office.

• 15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
  • Not many organised activities, but plenty of opportunity to arrange something ourselves.

12th August 2009