HSBC First Year Summer Intern at HSBC

Banking - Retail

HSBC is a Top Employer

6.9/10

6.6

I enjoyed the internship mainly because it got me out of bed and was something to do. The staff in my branch were really friendly and I learnt quite a lot about the bank and the way the retail branches work. I liked that we had lots of activities outside of work, e.g. going to Leeds to learn about First Direct and also to do charity work on a farm. You get to meet the other interns and as there are lots of networking events, you get to know each other well and become good friends.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at HSBC

The staff were extremely helpful and didn't just disregard me. They listened to me and always had time to answer my questions.

All the managers were checking up on me to make sure that I was happy and had something to do. I had a couple of one-to-one's with the branch manager and had plenty of time to chat to my line manager.

Most of the time I was quite busy. On the odd occasion towards the end of the internship I had boring days with nothing to do.

Not as much as I would have liked to. I think I could have done more as an intern despite only being there for 7 weeks.

I have improved my communication and networking skills. I have also learned about the banking industry which is relevant for my degree.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at HSBC

Most of the staff were relatively young and liked to have a laugh. Even the branch manager was making jokes and pulling pranks on other staff!

It took me 3 weeks to get a login ID and to have my email set up which was quite frustrating as it meant that my work was limited during that time. Afterwards, everything was OK but I expected more from a company as big as HSBC.

There were quite a few training and networking events. The company spent quite a bit of money on training each intern in terms of travel and accommodation costs.

I haven't been offered a second internship but other interns who are on their second internship have said that it is likely that I will be offered one. The company wouldn't invest so much money into someone if they plan on letting them go, and there is a financial bonus for accepting a second internship/graduate programme.

All the other interns were great. They were fun and intelligent and I got along well with most of them.

Could have been better, but then again I was in London.

Not bad, there are a couple of clubs nearby.

The other interns and gradutes constantly planned events for the interns to come together and have fun.