HSBC First Year Summer Internship at HSBC

Banking - Retail

HSBC is a Top Employer

7.1/10

6.0

Placement in a retail branch

It is my first placement in HSBC. It's been a pleasant experience receiving exposure to HSBC's culture and the workings of a retail branch.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 10 roles at HSBC

My colleagues were very friendly and accepting. Yet it is important to prove yourself if you want to be valued and respected by your colleagues!

My line manager is an outstanding branch manager who did not hold back from telling me anything despite the fact I was only going to be there for a short period of time.

Work hours are 9 - 5. I was in charge of two business projects, but as projects go there is quite a bit of down time. Times when I wasn't so busy I offered to help out with whatever I could, from back office to front office.

I was given responsiblity and ownership of my business projects. The responsiblities I was given were within my expectations, so I'd say its reasonable.

There aren't many technical skills that were learnt or developed. More importantly I've learnt and developed important management and leadership skills with the guideance of my branch manager.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 10 roles at HSBC

It's a retail branch in a very busy area. Colleagues seldom have lunch together because they work on shifts.

They didn't seem to ready to receive me - many of the interns had technical issues with the system, I didn't have my access card and name badge until 4 weeks into the placement.

I'm very grateful for HSBC's gesture of taking in first year interns. They're truly sincere about training and development employees and are obviously looking at the long-term.

Pretty appealing, although I think you cannot look at HSBC merely through a retail branch.

Lots of events lined up for interns to socialise and to work together. I've had many opportunities to interact with HSBC employees across different business areas as well because I made the effort.

It's expensive here

I haven't been out much these few weeks but nightlife here is awesome

You'd have to look for them proactively and put in the effort!