Summer Vacation Scheme at Deloitte

Newcastle North East

Deloitte  is a Top Employer

8.7/10

Working in both audit and tax, as part of the professional services rotation scheme, I had an in-depth insight into both professions. I worked for a large client, on site, during my time with audit and was predominantly testing legal entities and chasing up information from the client's banks. In tax I have been finalising tax returns and working out capital allowances amongst other things.

Variety was definitely a plus; getting an insight into two main areas of Deloitte's work was incredibly insightful. Hours were not too strenuous, though in audit most people worked some very long hours, and there were only very few occasions where I had nothing important to do. Great responsibilty was given to me to actually do REAL work, that was definitely a big plus.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 13 roles at Deloitte

This was definitely to a great extent. I was working ALONGSIDE Deloitte employees, not UNDER them. I never felt embarrassed to talk to anyone or ask anyone, whether they be an associate or a partner, for work.

Support from HR was strong and easily accessible.

Usually packed between 9 and 5.30. There were times when I had little to do but I would fill that time updating my commercial awareness or completing the exams online as part of Deloitte's compliance requirements.

I've worked at many different places as an intern and never have I been given the opportunity to do as crucial work as I did here at Deloitte. Sure, there is pressure, but the atmosphere was collegiate and friendly yet focussed.

In my degree, law, it will definitely help when I undertake Taxation in my final year. Beyond degree level, it has given me an invaluable insight into an entire business practice that I consider to be a serious option for my career.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 13 roles at Deloitte

There was fun in the office, especially on Fridays. Everyone was friendly with a very 'open-door' policy.

HR were so on the ball, commendations to both Lauren Russell and Emma Simons.

Not like some other places I've worked, Deloitte actually care about you and your future, from what I could gather.

I don't want to jinx myself but I think there are some serious doors opening here...

I live with two other lads that work on the scheme now, let's leave it at that.

I come from London and Newcastle is MUCH cheaper.

Newcastle is a bit crazy...

Football, parties, lunches