Summer Analyst at UBS

7.3

5.5

Financial Institutions Group
Investment Banking Division

It was a fascinating learning experience with an extremely steep learning curve. However, I suffered from the hours and plenty of grunt work.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 10 roles at UBS

I felt support from the team at all the times, and I believe I was justly praised/criticised for the work I have done. I think that my collegues apprciateted my contributions.

In particular my buddy was always ready to help me with every problem or question; the rest of the team also never refused to offer guidance, even when they worked under considerable time pressure.

The first weeks started off slowly, but by now the pace has picked up and there are currently very few days when I am not very busy.

Most of the tasks I was assigned to did not require much independence, creative thinking or model building; while I understand that the interns cannot start working on the most complicated tasks from day one, this, in my view, reflected a lack of belief that we can cope.

I have mastered my Excel & PowerPoint skills, learned a lot about model builidng and searching for information in the Internet - all these are very important for my studies and future life.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 10 roles at UBS

Great team of people (FIG), everyone friendly and supportive.

There have been some problems with schedulling of events and training; also, there have been periods when I felt understaffed. Overall, however, the oragnisation was smooth.

I have received training in all relevent IT applications (Datastream, Factset, SNL), as well as introductions to UBS support teams (Infocentre, Presentations). We even had a motivational lecture, which was a great experience.

For an investment bank, UBS constitutes a particualrly employee-friendly organiosation and this make it very appealing.

All the interns in the team (7) were sitting close together, so we developed close friendships. This extended also outside of the office (social events).

The City is pretty expensive in terms of living costs and socialising, but this applies to all major banks (Canary Wharf included). Plus the salary is very high which compensates for this.

Unfortunely, the workload has prevented me from experiencing the nightlife over the internship, but the couple of parties in the nearby Shoreditch were great.

There was one compulsory community project and many opportunities for volunteers. Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to participate.