Wokring alongside Product Controllers to assess the level of operational risk within their activities and financial reporting, highlighting control gaps or losses due to control gaps to senior management
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Very good, gave a fantastic insight into the firm and the industry, the interns were given some really enjoyable experiences outside of the desk (community work, talks). The work itself was at times a little tedious
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues were very helpful, always answered my questions, but very busy themselves and quite quiet. Listened to my views and appreciated my opinions
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My line manager was very good, letting me get on with my work to form my own judgements and decisions, but similarly reviewing my progress at each stage of my project to make sure I was on the right track and giving assistance and advice where necessary
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Working on a single project, not given too many other tasks, so when I was waiting for assistance or resources for my project at times there was not a lot to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Much of the analysis I performed was being used by my teams in meetings so it certainly had to be accurate and well-substantiated, my project was to develop a review process for a particualar tool so hopefully that will also be used by my team going forward.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My degree not entirely related to my work, my work was focused mainly around data analysis which is one of my stronger skills. However, interacting with the team and presenting my findings to them are hopefully beneficial experiences that I can take forward
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Fairly quiet, everyone concentrated on their work, some light conversation but not loads of fun
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well organised, programme structure clearly defined from the start
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Given computer training, fairly short placement so difficult to be given too much training. Brought in some good speakers. In the future they may fund accountancy qualifications
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
If I perform well there is a fantastic opportunity to work with this firm while gaining accountancy qualifications, and then a full time job after then if I gain those qualifications
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Very good atmosphere between other interns, socialised regularly and made some really good friends
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Very expensive in london
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Good in London, but often too tired to take it up
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Community work and sports and social societies within the firm, but too busy in such a short placement to get involved