The COO function of the Investment Bank was where I applied. It gave a huge range of tasks, which is a key reason to why I applied to this area. Daily tasks involved respopnding to emails related to projects, setting up meetings with other employees to gain an understanding of what they do etc. I was also given projects to work on, but also, tasks would arise throughout the day. The COO function includes being involved in the management and strategy side of the organisation, which hugely interests me.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Highly enjoyable. Such a great experience / opportunity.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Felt very much part of the team which is important.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
So helpful and willing to help me learn.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Work loads varied at first, but then once I had done a good bit of work I was set more demanding tasks which I was pleased about, and eventually was given more and more.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The projects I have been doing are highly useful to the team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Skills that can be so applicable, especially the use of excel and powerpoint, as well as internpersonal skills.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office environment is great. It has the balance of being able to have good conversations with other colleagues, but also quiet to be able to work hard.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well orgainsed. HR graduate recruitment made a continuous effort to ensure my placement was busy and are always quick to respond with questions. Within the departments I worked, projects were set out for me to complete.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There were a number of training sessions in the first week of the internship which were very useful, as well as there being a number of presentations throughout the ten weeks.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would be delighted if I was able to gain full time employment after my placement.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes. Good social scene.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Where I was based was the same and what you expect anywhere else in London.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?