2012 Summer Intern on the Operation Internship programme in London.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Only a month into my placement but have reall enjoyed my experience so far. Very lively adn exciting company with a fast paced learning environement.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues relied on me more and more as the placement went on. I begun to carry out more useful and relevant tasks. The work I do is central in developping the whole project and as a result the work I do well means I become valued.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My supervisors and managers gave me excellence guidance. They were more helpful than I expected. They allowed me not only to learn certain processes but also to learn a huge amount of extra information.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My work load increased as the placement continued to the point where my day was busy from start to finish.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given increasing amounts of resposnibility as the placement continued. To the point where i was completing important taks and processes by myself.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills i learnt certainly aided my studies in a number of ways including increasing my levels of analysis and critical thinking.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very good. Friendly yet hard working. Plenty of advice on hand. Lively and energetic with lots of things going on.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well organised. Well strcutured with a clear programme and lots of activities. Plenty of reminders and warnings about events. A wide variety of speakers and interactive sessions.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Invested a huge amount. Time and effort was taken to train us and people were keen to help us develop. The talks and events helped us develop and learn quickly. In my opinion a huge amount was invested.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing. There are plenty of incentives to compete for a place on the graduate scheme. This competition arises because the role appeals to so many of the interns.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Some social events organised by UBS which were varied and exciting. There was plenty of oppurtunity to socialise with other interns inside and outside of the office.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Expensive as it was central london. There are some cheaper places to go and socialise but you need to travel away from the city to find these.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Limited nightlife in the immediate area. Plenty available if you travlled across London.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Some extra activities in the community were available. Shoreditch games was the community event which i took part in. This was very enjoyable and the kids who participated clearly enjoyed themselves.