Part of an operational team supporting traders to loan and borrow assets; take a % in the middle to make a profit! Day to day jobs involved reporting, booking trades, risk controls and performance improvement.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Really friendly and enjoyable working environment, I'm having a great time.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Felt very much like people were keen to get me involved, but obviously a degree to which you could be running high lever stuff within a few weeks of learning systems etc.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager was really very busy, but always made sure he made time to ensure I was on top of things and understood the tasks I was undertaking.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Very very busy, but not as though I was out of my depth, I could always get support or relive some of the pressure with my team around me to help.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Quite a lot of responsibility considering how little experience I had, I really felt I was contributing but I was clearly instructed beforehand so I didnt feel out of my depth.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
A lot - it gives you the confidence to know you can handle a real working environment like this as well as giving you a real insight into what you may do in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Fantastic - fun, lively, exciting, yet somehow the work all still seemed to get done.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
A little unsure in terms of what to expect and how I was assesed - I enjoyed working but didnt really know whether or not there were certain tasks/criteria I was supposed to be adhering to.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Well paid, lots of flash handouts, very plush working environment - no expense was spared, it was great!
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Its just a matter of getting an offer!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
A bit segregated in terms of Company divisions - mainly pushed by separate training etc, but within divisions everyone was very sociable.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Its London... London's expensive... With a choice I think more up front would be preferable - I realise its risky but in terms of settling in in month one - take away tax before P46 is sorted and suddenly rent goes and you're penniless.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Jump on the tube and you're there!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
It depends what kind of options you were looking for - a few volunteering events were available, but in terms of social/spare time options - most extras were either black tie events or only available for Grads or Staff.