Summer Analyst at UBS

7.3
6.4

Operations - Global Collateral Operations

OTC Margin Calls,, Collateral Change

The people are genuinely friendly and are willing to help me learn the ropes around here. Their patience and encouragement are a plus.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 10 roles at UBS

They make me feel like I'm making a valuable contribution to the team, although they do know my technical limitations as I'm still new to the bank's inner workings. We've been for team lunches and drinks as well!

My manager and colleagues are always available to answer my questions and don't make me feel like a nuisance for asking so many.

Some days were busier than others, but that's to be expected of course. When deadlines were approaching, I was given more small tasks to do to help out.

A surprising amount, actually. I was tasked with entire jobs normally done by my full-time colleagues. At the same time, this served as a pressurizer as I was expected to perform according to their high standards.

I definitely learned about office politics and the need to not step on people's toes as well as respect the hierarchy implicit in the organization structure. I really believe learning how to navigate office politicking is half the challenge of acclimatizing to the working environment.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 10 roles at UBS

Cordial for the most part. Sometimes stressful and tense when deadlines were approaching.

Very well-organized as HR set up weekly speaker sessions for us and let us know of midterm evaluations and final presentations well in advance. There was also a buddy/mentor system so each intern was paired with someone from the graduate scheme on another desk to get a good idea of what people do across teams in the department.

We had extensive training the first week in the bank's various divisions (i.e. Sales and Trading, Markets, Investment Banking). We also got a half day of in-depth Excel training, which was really helpful. I was happily surprised at the high quality of training invested in us.

If we perform well and our managers and HR recruiters like us, we can get a graduate job offer!

We often ate lunch together, and HR organized speakers for all the interns to listen to as well as welcome and farewell events.

Cost of living in London is high! But the social scene is great and there's truly something for everyone to enjoy

Lots of clubs from classy to cheap.

UBS has societies to join for music and sports. And London has lots of social groups so you can do as much as you're motivated to!