Equities sales & trading. I was on the cash trading desk so my tasks were to write an overnight market wrap each morning about what happened in the financial markets over the night and email this out to everyone. Then I would go through the main catalysts for the companies my desk covers and make a pre-market. I would then communicate my desk's views to other traders in the morning meeting. Beyond that I would come up with trade ideas and shadow what other desks do to gain a hollistic view of the running of the business of the entire sales & trading floor as a whole.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I've found my dream job
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
A bit of hazing is part of the culture and makes you learn faster, I enjoyed it
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I am always welcomed to ask questions and receive tons of help and guidance
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I didn't have too much responsibility, but that's because as an intern, I'm not FSA regulated. As a trader, if you can't execute, there's not too much else you can do.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
3 rotations, very well organised
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
It would've been better if we got access to Bloomberg. I know that interns in most other banks get access.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Hard to tell as we're in the peak of the financial crisis still
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Heart of Shoreditch
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?