Creating and developing financial reporting systems, costing tools and the processes used within the department
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I worked with really friendly people who made the whole experience more enjoyable. Especially when the work wasn't always exciting
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was given a birthday present! They vauled my opinion and I was often asked to support others on day to day processes.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager was the most approachable person in business I have met. I never felt intimidated or that I couldn't ask for help. We often worked on projects together as he gave me support if I struggled.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Due to the nature of the work I was sometimes left twiddling my thumbs but you realise how to make work for yourself, so when work was slow you could still be kept busy enough not to get bored.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As with the company policies decisions are made at head office but on certain tasks I was given sole responsibility to complete them in whatever way I believed was the best way as long as the results were that which was asked of me.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I recieved external training and on the job training which dramatically increased my skills technically which is a bonus. Learning how to work and behave in an appropriate manor in a corporate situation is a skill that is invaluable for future interviews.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
We would joke with each other so much I forgot I was at work most of the time! Every other department wishes they were like ours
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There was no set layout to how my placement would progress which often left holes in the way I worked, but overall it could have been a lot worse.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Compared to other Global companies this one is lacking in their investment in placement students. We had to fight for training and other personal development opportunities. However my department were more focused than the company as a whole.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Although I have not been offered a job I know if the opportunity arose I would receive it. Along with this the rapid growth they are going through is amazing to be a part of.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
If you wanted to do something then others would join you. A commitee was set up specifically for grads and placement students to start going out together.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Not stupidly expensive and if you were in the right area rent was fairly cheap too. It has a good mixture of high end and budget shops as well as social activities
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Depending on where you live the situation changes. Milton Keynes does not offer easily located pubs and clubs and doesn't have a student atmosphere where Northampton does. These are both locations where people will live during their placement year
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are constant sport and social club opportunities. If their isn't a club for something you want to do you can start one!