To assist the production planning team in their daily operation including sales reporting, production ordering and stock tracking. This was also coupled with various other tasks to the wider sales, marketing and fleet departments,
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Difficult at first but very rewarding by the end of my year as my responsibilities and expertise developed. There were also lots of enjoyable perks such as O2 box tickets and opportunities to test drive new vehicles.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Colleagues were very supportive and would recognise any contributions made to the company especially those that are beyond your daily tasks.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Immediate were happy to support me throughout my year both with my role and to help me gain a greater understanding of the company and the industry.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Workload was slightly loaded towards the back end of months due to month and quarter end business needs, but not to unmanageable levels.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Was given to opportunity to work throughout many areas of the business but do feel I could have taken on greater responsibilities sooner as I felt this is when I was of most value to the company.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
As I would like to work in the automotive industry after graduation I feel the skills I learnt will be invaluable. I will also be using the company as the topic for my dissertation so it has helped my degree also.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Atmosphere mostly good with friendly approachable staff. There was occasional tension that could make things uncomfortable.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Placement was not as well structured as it initially seemed on a company wide level but at a departmental level lots was done to maximise what I could learn from my time there.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Attended some cross functional training which was supposed to give us an overview of every major department in the office. This was valuable but it was never organised with some departments which was dissapointing.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The company encourages re-application from IP's and allows them to be interviewed before new graduates but there are not a huge amount of graduate places available.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Good on well with other placement students but did not see much of them outside of work although some did attend sports events and the gym together.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
London area so everything was quite expensive.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
In Maple Cross where the office is situated there is no night life. However, it is next to Watford where you could go out if you wanted.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Frequently organised sports and social events including Rounder's, Go-Karting and Football.