Working on Value Added/Value Engineering projects throughout the year.
Monthly audits on the manufacturing site.
Inputting VBA and macros to make excel documents for automated.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The placement itself was really well set-up and I got to learn a lot about how to behave and work within a range of teams. I enjoyed the fact that you are working with such a variety of people and you are able to develop your skills in different areas
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The taks given to you mean they don't just treat you as an intern, they treat you as an employee. Whether it was meetings with my manager and the team, or banter with the staff on the shopfloor, everyone made me feel really welcome.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Monthly meetings allowed me to seek outmy goals for the coming month and review the previous months actions that I had undertaken. They were also very helpful if i got to a point where I needed assistance in a project, but had enough faith in me to have an attempt on my own at first
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Depending on the stage of the project, the business changed from really busy on some days to not busy at all on others. But there were always other taks you could undertake if your project came to a standstill/
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The projects I were given were major projects with a direct impact on the company. With large cost savings and changes to how the company operates, the responsibiity is huge.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Not only was I able to develop my University skills, but life skills such as time-management and communication skills progress naturally when in a working environment, and you are encouraged to work at these just as much as any other.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
As people were in and ot of the shop-floor all of the time, and with a small number of people specifically in my office, then the atmosphere a lot was quiet. But when everybody was in the office, there was a good sense of friendship between all employees
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship has been set up very well, with a HR liasion specifically setting it up and monitoring progress. It allowed for training and projects to be planned in advance and gave you a platform to go to with any issues/improvements for the next year
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
4 different training days; Excel &Powerpoint training, Commercial Awareness, Finance and Project Management training were all given to us to allow us to broaden our knowledge
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Have a graduate job with them once I have finished University
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Lived with another intern and downstairs were 2 graduates. Great sense of socialising which also involved some of the younger staff from work
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
As its a village, it's cheap as chips! But there is nothing to do there.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
As i say, a village isn't known for it night life. But Notts is only 25 minutes away on the train and is a brilliant night out!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?