1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Had a really enjoyable experience, everyone was very welcoming and the company ensured that I got everything and more you would expect from a yearlong placement.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
As mentioned before everybody was very welcoming and you are treated like any other employee and not seen as just a student/intern.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
If I had any questions my manager was more than happy to help.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There are always busier days and lighter days work wise. However I found I usually had a constant stream of work. However on the odd occasion I was running low on things to do, all I needed was to let my manager know and he would sort something out.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
It varied throughout the year. At the beginning the responsibility was not huge, however as the year progressed and I got more and more confident in what I was doing my responsibilities undoubtedly increased.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The company provided numerous different training courses throughout the year in areas such as PowerPoint and Excel. These courses as well as skills learnt on the job will certainly be useful when I return to Uni.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There was always a very positive atmosphere. Sometimes it can be quite quiet, but this is mainly due to people being busy working. However everyone was really nice and always up for a chat every now and again.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was very organised. I was told everything I needed to know in advance and talking to friends on other placements they would have loved for their placement to have been as organised as Cooper's.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had numerous training days throughout the year as well as the opportunity to go to other Cooper sites across the UK to get a wider understanding of the business as a whole.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
At the end of the year, if all has gone well you will get the opportunity to return on Cooper Industries Graduate Program. I will be returning when I have finished my degree.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Due to their being training days throughout the year it was a chance for all the interns to get together. We would usually organise a night out together after the trainings as well.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived in Cardiff so it wasn't cheap. However it is nowhere near as expensive as places like London so it wasn’t too bad.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Cardiff has a great nightlife and I would recommend spending some time there if you ever got the chance.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
On a Monday night about 10/12 of us would play 5 a side football. Also every now and again people would organise drinks after work on a Friday.