I worked as an Area Accountant for the year where i dealt with invoices, cheques, customer queries and many other daily tasks. My main responsibility was looking after 10 of the enterprise branches within Scotland and Northern Ireland. The project i was assigned when i started was utilities which i kept throughout my year.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It took me a while to adapt from the uni lifestyle to the working world, but once i got into the year i really enjoyed my job with Enterprise!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I got on very well with everyone in my department and i was treated like a normal employee even though i was just on placement.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My workload changed from day to day but this was a good balance as It allowed me to have quieter days to catch up on my workload and the busy days flew past. I felt this was a really good balance!!
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was not sheltered from the normal workload of the others in the department, i was given equal responsibilities which kept me busy and learning all the time.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I developed so many valuable skills that i will most definitely take on with me through out my working life. I have learnt a huge deal whilst working with Enterprise!
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone knew when work needed to be done and when it was appropriate to have a good laugh. The office was never dull but at the same time we always got our work complete!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Everything for setting up with Enterprise was easy with no problems.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was trained up on everything that any other employee in the accounts department was trained on. I had a week of training before i started as well as on the job training which was really beneficial.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I am keeping in contact with my manager at Enterprise in case they ever have a really busy day and i can offer a helping hand. This will keep me in contact with the working world.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We socialised within work, we went out for lunch every now and again, there were also work parties and nights out that we organised ourselves which were always good fun! this allowed me to further build a relationship with my department and others within enterprise!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I stayed at home during my years placement
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
we only went out once in the area i worked in, which was good fun but we didnt go out often.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?