I normally help my supervisor and trainee buddies conduct due diligence for deals, proofread documents, and draft parts of contracts. I also have a resesarch task to complete for every department I am in, which gives me a chance to delve into the particular law of that group.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I was given plenty of opportunities to socialise with others in my department and in the firm, so I felt as though everyone was trying to make me feel at home.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was thanked for every piece of work I completed.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My trainee buddies were very helpful, and were very willing to help me when I felt lost on an assignment. I would appreciate more help from my supervisors, but I think part of the reason is that they are just too busy!
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was given enough tasks to keep me occupied during the day, but not so much that I had to stay late every day, so I felt I had the right balance.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I felt that I was given tasks of varying importance and difficulty, although I would have appreciated more responsibility.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think that some of the proof-reading will not necessarily assist me in my post-degree career, but it did teach me to be scrupulous in my work.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It varied between departments - real estate was quite quiet, corporate was very fast-paced, and litigation was more formal.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I enjoyed the first two weeks as we had just enough of a presentation/workshop and office work balance to ensure we were constantly busy.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I certainly felt that the firm was investing huge amounts in us, judging by the number of evening events and drinks receptions!
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I am uncertain yet as to what my prospects are with Herbert Smith, but I hope that I will be able to get a job with them!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Some of us arranged to meet up after work, so that was quite nice.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
A bit on the expensive side.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There are quite a few bars and other venues around.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Herbert Smith is very involved in volunteering, sports, and other activities around the area, so there is definitely scope for getting involved in anything you are particularly interested in.