Vacation Scheme Student at Herbert Smith Freehills

Legal/Law

7.7/10

7.3

I normally help my supervisor and trainee buddies conduct due diligence for deals, proofread documents, and draft parts of contracts. I also have a resesarch task to complete for every department I am in, which gives me a chance to delve into the particular law of that group.

I was given plenty of opportunities to socialise with others in my department and in the firm, so I felt as though everyone was trying to make me feel at home.

I was thanked for every piece of work I completed.

My trainee buddies were very helpful, and were very willing to help me when I felt lost on an assignment. I would appreciate more help from my supervisors, but I think part of the reason is that they are just too busy!

I was given enough tasks to keep me occupied during the day, but not so much that I had to stay late every day, so I felt I had the right balance.

I felt that I was given tasks of varying importance and difficulty, although I would have appreciated more responsibility.

I think that some of the proof-reading will not necessarily assist me in my post-degree career, but it did teach me to be scrupulous in my work.

It varied between departments - real estate was quite quiet, corporate was very fast-paced, and litigation was more formal.

I enjoyed the first two weeks as we had just enough of a presentation/workshop and office work balance to ensure we were constantly busy.

I certainly felt that the firm was investing huge amounts in us, judging by the number of evening events and drinks receptions!

I am uncertain yet as to what my prospects are with Herbert Smith, but I hope that I will be able to get a job with them!

Some of us arranged to meet up after work, so that was quite nice.

A bit on the expensive side.

There are quite a few bars and other venues around.

Herbert Smith is very involved in volunteering, sports, and other activities around the area, so there is definitely scope for getting involved in anything you are particularly interested in.