This review was submitted over 4 years ago, so some of the information it contains may no longer be relevant.

3.8/5
  • The Role
    4.1
  • The Company
    3.6
  • The Culture
    3.6

Updating reports with ledger actuals and investigating/analysing data discrepancies. Preparing cost reports for various business managers to drive reporting. Tracking third party spending and updating puchase order information. Assiting with gross spend analysis. Forecasting shared costs with other business areas for clarity. Audit proofing and readiness testing team documents/procesess/systems. Various other ad hoc requests - mainly relating to data analysis.

• 1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
  • very valuable experience, definately worth the extra year. very supportive team - I was able to build upon my exisiting skill set and aquire new ones e.g adaptability, client focus, teamwork and collaboration.

• 2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
  • As above, very supportive team - always there to offer help and guidance. I wasnt treated any different to a regular IBMer in my opinion.

• 3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
  • Similar to above - I didntend to seek advice from my team members, but when managers were available, they were very understanding and helpful.

• 4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
  • Towards my 6month review I felt as though I had got all I could out of my basic role. However I asked for more work, and now I am busy all day which is how I like it. I dont have to stay late unless it it month end so I have a good work-life balance.

• 5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
  • I was solely responsible for some tasks, whereas other were more shared resonsibility with another team member. From day 1 i was left in charge of important processes that often had strict deadlines for completion.

• 6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
  • All the competencies I have aquired/built upon this year I will be able to utilise either at univieristy or when I apply for graduate roles.

• 7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
  • Generally, people were very upbeat and we enjoyed breaks together, but not to the extent of unproffessionalism.

• 8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
  • very well organised from the application process up until i began the role - I was kept informed of start dates and requirements etc... my handover wasnt particularly organised but thats not a releflection on IBM as a company and the training/education I was provided with to enhance my skills withing my role.

• 9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
  • As above, I attended numerous skills workshops and education sessions. Some of there were organised by the finance department, others by IBM foundation. I found there very beneficial, particualy the courses on accounting and excel skills. there were also online education sessions available.

• 10. What were the perks on your work placement?

Subsidised/Company Gym

National Travel

Company Parties/Events

Working from home

• 11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
  • I hope to be offered a graduate position with IBM - there is opportunity on the graduate scheme to experience a range of roles before you settle down.

• 12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
  • As there were a large number of IT's at North Harbour, there were lotsof social events, perticuarly at the beginning/end of our placements.

• 13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
  • Rent is reasonable if you are willing to share a house...I shared a 3 bedroom house with 3 others ( i converted the lounge into a bedroom). Social costs depend on the amount you go out, no more expensive than anywhere else in England. There is a free bus service to IBM from Cosham station (about half a mile away) which runs frequently.

• 14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
  • Quite a few clubs/pubs/bars. Theres a comedy club nearby also. lots of places to go out to eat and socialise e.g bowling, cinema...

• 15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
  • Giveback is greatly encouraged in IBM and all trainees are expected to get involved in at least a few giveback activities.

23rd June 2009