Naval Architect (Submarine Engineer) at BAE Systems

Aerospace/Aviation

BAE Systems is a Top Employer

8.3/10

6.5

Responsible for the performance and welfare of the Astute Class Submarine.

Placement consisted of four threee month placements put these are very flexible. Worked in Naval Architecture, Commisioning, Platform Design and Marine Design.

In Naval Architecture I worked on producing documentation for command guidance, done through checking previous calculations and learning how to use software that simulates the behaviour of the Astute Class submarine.

In the Platform Design looked at the integration of the whole design and assessed the effect upon the performance of the boat when certain parameters of the design were changed. Got a good overview of the design. Also worked with the MOD to produce a Propulsion and Manoevring Systems Certificate of Safety to go to Sea. My Role in this was to look at all on board systems and describe how they fitted into the Scope of the Certificate.

Very good, work has been varied and interesting I cannot give it the maximum as it is still the only job I have had related to this profession, which I now want to work in!

Most people at the company are friendly and happy to help, everyone has to help each other to get things done.

All of the Managers were very approachable and I had the freedom to work independently and prioritise my work myself.

Work is very up and down, sometime you are very busy, other times you struggle to find things to do, greatly depends upon the Manager, but you can easily leave a placement that is not going well.

You can always find soem work to do.

In some instances I was given a lot of responsibility I got the opportunity to present some of my work at a senior level to the Royal Navy, which was brilliant.

Most of the work you get given is important, it doesn't always seems that way though as you son't always get a lot of deadlines to go with te work.

Definetely a worthwhile experience, I have made a career decision, I know what I want my profession to be now from this experience. The amount of departments at the company from project management through to engineering and the freedom to do a placement in any of the departments (providing you have the adequate qualifications) ensure that most people can find a job that is right for them.

Depending on the office I worked in, most places were good, always sat next to friendly people. The heating in the office is not always regulated well, feels hot and stuffy sometimes in two of the offices I was in.

Relatively well, have the freedom to do what you want, not sure if there should be more regulation though to help you get relevent competencies to become chartered, however you can choose where you work and there is something to learn wherever you are.

Not very much as a placement year, I had the choice to do some courses and i know others that have done very expensive courses. But I could not find a courses that were necessary for me. I have given it the highest rating though as opportunities are here and less investment in placements as oppose to graduates is understandable, but the best thing was having trips to university to see my tutor and for presentations, etc. paid for by the company, this really helped.

Very Good place to work. Although I would say it is there are few products produced by the company and the overally product (a submarine) takes decades to build you will never see it though. There is enough complexity and diverse areas in the design to keep you busy for a long time though and you are always learning things

The location is not great at all for me and the town is not nice but there are about 190 graduates and placement students so there is always people about, some places only have about 4 or 5 people. So this is excellent. I live with two other placement students who work in a different area to me.

Extremely Cheap

There is one but it is not very good, although there are always people about you can go out with. Other places to go out are too far away.

A lot of charity work etc. to get involved in. I personally try to get involved in promoting engineering more then anything else.

I am from South England and it is too far away for me to partake in some of my hobbies.

There is stuff to do here, especially in the lake district, which is good, providing you look in the right places.

I got a bit too used to city life.