A software engineer researches, designs and develops software systems to meet with clients requirements. Once the system had been fully designed software engineers then test, debug, and maintain the systems.
They increasingly need to have knowledge of a variety of computer programming languages and applications; this is due to the wide variety of work that they can be involved in.
Software engineers are sometimes referred to as computer programmers or software developers. Depending on the type of organisation, software engineers can become specialists in either systems or applications.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Very challenging but really rewarding.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
A small team ethos tends to exist.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Management literally fall over themselves if you want to do training or discuss options etc.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I won't lie the workload is pretty high.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was treated as any other software engineer which was really empowering.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
With the high work loads came stress, but generally pretty calm but not dull.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The scheme BAE has is excellent and i would recommend it to anyone.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was sent of loads of courses and they offer to help personal development costs as well.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
So many projects that are really diverse, you cant go wrong.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I had no fellow placement/graduates in or near my project.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Portsmouth is a pretty standard city but not cheap.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Many many clubs, pubs, etc...
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Work has a pretty strong work-life balance initiative so plenty of opportunity to do stuff.