Undergraduate Systems Engineer at BAE Systems

Aerospace/Aviation

BAE Systems is a Top Employer

7.3/10

6.0

Duties tend to be vaired and project dependent. There a a vast number of roles within the organisation in which you could be placed. All roles require you to work well in team and individual situations and to meet deadlines and work requirements. Customer interaction can vary widely depending on role and business unit and whether the customer is internal to the business or not. Wherever you are placed there is great flexability so if you find yourself not enjoying your work you need only raise the concern and a new role you think will better suit you can be found.

I always had pleanty of meaningful, interesting work with responsibility.

Very friendly atmostphere where you were treated an equal and work was not dumbed down. Support was always available if you felt at all stretched.

Support was available when and where you needed it. If it was not directly at hand then routes to find it were offered, so you never felt trapped.

The work ebbed and flowed as can be expected in a project based culture. When deadlines were coming up you had lots to do and the work flow was more relaxed in other places. A good balance on the whole.

Responsibility was given where it was sought. You were always encouraged to take on responsibility and shine but it was not thrust upon you.

Many of the skills I learned and developed I can see as being useful. They might not always be used or applied but in learning them I have definitely gained benefit.

Always jovial and friendly but if you needed to work it was recognised and respected.

This is my only area in which I have any real complaints. As my university course finishes later in the year than most and last minute changes in the location of my base site (within 20 miles of each other not huge) it left me little more than a week to find accomodation. I ended up having to get last minute and quite pricy accomodation which i have been regretting. Others don't seem to have had this problem to such a heavy extent but it is worth mentioning.

Endevoured to make a good impression and make sure you were happy in your job. Investment on broadening your horizons was given as you were invited along with graduate recruits to inductions and events like air shows.

A really good graduate scheme with flexibility to explore the many facets of the company. A great social atmostphere amongst the graduates with an active social calender amongst them.

Very active graduate social scene, to which placement students are welcomed with open arms. Supported by lots of charity events, trips to comedy nights and curry clubs etc. Some of this is site specific.

Small time frame and eventual location of house meant I was paying London prices or travelling to social events. The salary was not london living adjusted (same wage whether greater london based or in Northern England.)

A couple of local establishments frequently attended by work colleagues. London a 20 minute train journey if you fancied splashing the cash a bit more.

There were opportunities if you showed and interest whilst socialising or sought them out. Not majorly advertised though.