Electrical Engineering at BAE Systems

Barrow-in-Furness North West
Engineering

BAE Systems is a Top Employer

7.7/10

At BAE Systems - Submarine Solutions we are expected to take on several placements throughout our year in industry. I would be expected to find Electrical/Electronic Engineering where I can use the skills I have developed at University at helping in the Placements I have undertaken.

I have had three 4 month placements where my skills have enhanced considerably, however during one of my placements I did find that I was not being challenged enough.

I sometimes found it hard to mix in with my other colleagues however I feel that I have improved my communciation skills and during my last placement I feel like I am part of a team.

Due to the huge number of placements and departments that are available at Submarine Solutions I feel that I needed slightly more guidance by my discipline manager, however his support was extremely good.

During my first and last placements I have been considerable busier than during my time in my second placement.

In my first and final placement I had been given projects where unsupervised. Although unsupervised I received support from all members of the team around me and believe that this was essential to my training.

I feel that my skills were developed in many areas, however I believe that my report writing skills and communication skills have improved greatly over my time at BAE Systems and will help me during my final year at University.

Again, my first and final placements were excellent where I could get involved with the office chatter, however during my second placement I felt this was slightly more dull than the other two.

I believe that the placements were well organised but as mentioned before there is the need to understand what placements are available to the IPs at BAE Systems. Having said this, I know at the moment that a graduate team are working on improving this process.

I feel that the company invested alot in myself to do the work required of me in my placements as well as getting involved in the community as well, they could of done a bit more in involving me in more training courses.

At my review of the year I was immediately asked to come back following my Degree. Alongside this i asked to be located further south and they accomodated for this.

Although the social scene at BAE Systems Submarine Solutions is good, where graduates and Industrial Placements meet up to do activities or go out, the area in which the company was located was limited in the places to go out.

Barrow-in-Furness is far cheaper to live in than where I am originally from (London).

The first couple times out the nightlife is pretty good however after that it becomes repetitive.

I have got involved in several different opportunities outside of work, these being organising a Charity Casino Evening, Top of the Form (like university challenge), Engineering Education for Schools. There are also several other activities I got involved with.