- 1. Please give an overview of the insight and what was involved on a day-to-day basis.
- 2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
- How would you rate the training provided during your experience?
- How would you rate the knowledge learned around industry-specific skills during the experience?
- How would you rate the knowledge learned around personal or professional skills during the experience?
- Please rate how the knowledge learned has helped you with regards to your career development
- 3. What was it like understanding all about the business and potential roles available?
- Please rate how insightful you found the insight
- How would you rate the structure of the insight
- How would you rate business leader involvement during the insight
- 4. What was the company culture and general atmosphere like?
- How would you rate the inclusiveness of the culture?
- How would you rate the networking opportunities?
- Please rate how valued you felt during your insight?
- 5. To what extent did you enjoy the insight?
- Please rate your level of enjoyment on the insight
- Please rate how your experience met your expectations
- Please rate the future employment prospects at Amazon
- 7. Would you recommend Amazon to a friend?
- 8. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Amazon
During the 3 day insight event we had panels with amazonians and software engineers. They talked to us about their experiences in amazon and gave us advice. After each panel they opened up for questions so that we could ask them our questions.We also had workshops in smaller groups where we learned coding skills together with a software engineer. We focused especially on Java, and we got to work on exercises both invididually and in groups.
During this insight I feel that I have especially improved my general programming skills, as we practiced these in the tech workshops together with the software engineer. I also specifically learned the skill of coding in Java as this is not something I had experience with previously. Furthermore I learned a lot about how to program efficiently using hash maps, cache, and about unit testing. We also got to work as a team which I felt was helpful.
I have learned a lot about the business and potential roles available during the panels and from the software engineer in the workshops. I feel informed and supported to apply for a role fitting me. I feel like I especially learned a lot about the technology roles and software engineer roles in Amazon, as this is specifically what the insight event was about. I also learned about which 4 areas in UK amazon had locations.
The company atmosphere and culture seemed really welcoming and open. I especially liked that they had groups for supporting people with for example disabilities. Furthermore the company seemed very inclusive over Women in STEM and LGBT individuals, and had events and groups supporting these. I also liked the events they had where you could both share your own culture but also learn about others culture. All in all Amazon seems like a very accepting company.
I really enjoyed the insight, and I feel that I have learned new skills that will be useful in my career. I also feel supported in applying to Amazon for future opportunities. I especially enjoyed the workshops as they were very interactive and I found it nice to be able to speak with the other participants on the insight event as well as professional within the company. The team work exercises were my favourites to work on.
My tip would be to work on your java programming skills, as I believe you will get the most out of the opportunity if you have some programming skills already. I would also read up upon the leadership principles within amazon which is the foundation of the company. For students applying to the summer internship in addition to the insight event, I would recommend interacting with the mentor scheme that Amazon offers and interact as much as possible.
Insight / Vacation Scheme (< 4 Weeks)
Computer and Systems Engineering