Support & Guidance
- 1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis.
- 2. Have you learnt any new skills, or developed your existing skills?
- How would you rate the training provided during your experience?
- How would you rate your development of industry-specific skills during the experience?
- How would you rate your development of personal / soft skills during the experience?
- Please rate how these skills have helped you in your career development
- 3. Were you given much responsibility during your placement / internship?
- Please rate how meaningful the work you were doing was
- 4. How much support and guidance did you receive during your placement / internship?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from your line manager?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from the wider team?
- 5. What was the company culture and general atmosphere like?
- How would you rate the inclusiveness of the culture?
- How would you rate the social opportunities?
- How would you rate the diversity initiatives?
- How would you rate the charity, sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives?
- 6. To what extent did you enjoy your placement / internship?
- Please rate your level of enjoyment on your placement / internship
- Please rate how your experience met your expectations
- Please rate the future employment prospects at Warner Bros. Discovery
- 7. Would you recommend Warner Bros. Discovery to a friend?
- 8. What advice would you give to others applying to Warner Bros. Discovery
I work with the Digital Entertainment Group we work with the Cartoon Network and Boomerang Website games. I help out with creating different thumbnail and banner art work for the games. This includes graphics for both app and website games. As well as running a YouTube channel, analysing relevant data and using this to implement changes to help grow the channel. Running the channel also means adding the videos and thumbnails. Additionally I help with different content management systems services from game level approvals to localisation. Within the role you also attend weekly game feedback sessions where you play new games and suggest ideas and opinions.
Throughout the placement year I have been able to implement what I have learnt in first and second year of university into the role, such as the adobe suite and also had the opportunity focus on the areas that interest me most and have been given the the chance to then develop these skills in design and in particular photoshop. I have had the opportunity to take on training with YouTube which is a brand new skill to me. I have learnt how to analyse date from YouTube and implement strategies to grow a channel from 0 subscribers. As well I have conducted video editing projects that have added additional skill development to my experience.
During my placement I have been given different amounts of responsibility throughout my role. As the placement has gone on this also grew. I was given the task of producing one of the upcoming games for Cartoon Network GameBox, I had to interact with the game developers sending feedback, making important decisions about the game e.g. the games title. In addition to this I also have given responsibility in giving presentations, this included presenting the YouTube statistics and channel development to the team.
Support & Guidance
Support and guidance is consistent throughout the placement. From my team, to early careers and HR. Team members are often available to answer questions and give advice when you need it. At the start of my placement I sat down with my manager and set goals for the year, to monitor this and gain feedback on my work and how I'm doing we have a goal catch up every 2 months as well as regular weekly catch ups. There is additional support from the Early Careers Team where there is monthly sessions to help guide you and offer extra support. Within the company you can also join BRGs (Business Resource Groups) I joined the Women of WarnerMedia and this has provided further support in the company and gives opportunity to meet and connect with new people outside your team.
The company culture is great. Especially as an intern, when you first join you are put in touch with other interns where you can start building friendships and connections with interns from other areas of the company. The early careers team then also organise monthly intern get togethers and socials from quizzes to bingo and mini golf. BRGs (business resource groups) are available for anyone to join and range from Women of WarnerMedia to Faith & Belief groups, LGBTQ+, Black Empowerment, Disabilities, Parents/Carers and more. Making inclusion a large part of the company culture. There is opportunities to join gyms through benefit portals. As well as Global Volunteer Day where you can sign up for different volunteering activities. The company itself puts on events and encourages you to interact and meet with other teams in different works events, i.e. for events such as the Batman release, there were themed drinks for this occasion where all employees at the office were invited.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my placement. Although due to covid-19 the placement started out virtual my team made sure that I was always enjoying what I was doing. Getting to come back into the office towards the second half of the placement was a great experience and it was wonderful to see people in person and brightened the experience. I really enjoy what I do in my role and working alongside such a lovely team. If given the opportunity I would definitely go back!
When applying to Warner Media make sure to be yourself, research your role and whether it is something you would enjoy doing as enjoying your job makes all the difference. Don’t be disheartened if you don’t hear back straight away, applications take time and sometimes companies take a while to get back to you. As cheesy as it is, everything happens for a reason, so keep working on your goals and if you want it work for it!
Placement Year (10 Months+)
Media, Design, Arts/Entertainment/Media
Central London and City