Support & Guidance
- 1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis.
- 2. Have you learnt any new skills, or developed your existing skills?
- How would you rate the training provided during your experience?
- How would you rate your development of industry-specific skills during the experience?
- How would you rate your development of personal / soft skills during the experience?
- Please rate how these skills have helped you in your career development
- 3. Were you given much responsibility during your placement / internship?
- Please rate how meaningful the work you were doing was
- 4. How much support and guidance did you receive during your placement / internship?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from your line manager?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from the wider team?
- 5. What was the company culture and general atmosphere like?
- How would you rate the inclusiveness of the culture?
- How would you rate the social opportunities?
- How would you rate the diversity initiatives?
- How would you rate the charity, sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives?
- 6. To what extent did you enjoy your placement / internship?
- Please rate your level of enjoyment on your placement / internship
- Please rate how your experience met your expectations
- Please rate the future employment prospects at American Express
- 7. Would you recommend American Express to a friend?
- 8. What advice would you give to others applying to American Express
Role involved working in a team with 4 other interns, part of a larger team of amex engineers in order to build something which was then used in production.
Developed teamwork skills, learnt new technologies such as react, also have learnt alot about how to work effectively in a large organisation such as amex, compared to how I work in university and on small projects in my spare time
Yes, whilst we were supported by a team of full time engineers, the team I was in with other interns was given complete responsibility for building the product we were working on. Including selecting the tech to use, planning sprints, backlog refinement etc..
Support & Guidance
We had a team of roughly 6 full time engineers supporting us through the internship, alongside the team who organised the internship. We also reached out multiple times to people throughout the company who were more than happy to talk about thier careers at amex and give us tips and guidance if we got stuck on something.
Everyone was super friendly and willing to help. The company culture was great, was relaxed but professional, I didn't feel stressed at any point during the internship and everyone was so supportive and when I came up against a problem it would just be a case of trying to figure it out and then reaching out to someone who could help, and where they didn't know the answer, someone else would.
I enjoyed the internship alot, not just because the work was interesting and new, but also because the team I was in was great, and although it was virtual, the campus team made sure to organise virtual events where we could speak to other interns across the business
In the interviews they're wanting to understand why you did stuff and the path you took to getting to your solution, and also check that you'd be a good person to have in thier team at the same time, so be friendly throughout
Internship (1-4 Months)