Support & Guidance
- 1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis.
- 2. Have you learnt any new skills, or developed your existing skills?
- How would you rate the training provided during your experience?
- How would you rate your development of industry-specific skills during the experience?
- How would you rate your development of personal / soft skills during the experience?
- Please rate how these skills have helped you in your career development
- 3. Were you given much responsibility during your placement / internship?
- Please rate how meaningful the work you were doing was
- 4. How much support and guidance did you receive during your placement / internship?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from your line manager?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from the wider team?
- 5. What was the company culture and general atmosphere like?
- How would you rate the inclusiveness of the culture?
- How would you rate the social opportunities?
- How would you rate the diversity initiatives?
- How would you rate the charity, sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives?
- 6. To what extent did you enjoy your placement / internship?
- Please rate your level of enjoyment on your placement / internship
- Please rate how your experience met your expectations
- Please rate the future employment prospects at Centrica
- 7. Would you recommend Centrica to a friend?
- 8. What advice would you give to others applying to Centrica
Required to carry out adhoc tasks. Was also given a number of different projects that spanned over the financial division I was part off (with tight deadlines.) Had daily meetings with the team, and catch ups with my manager and buddy most days. Team was very welcoming and felt like an important member from day 1! Had external meetings with third parties, as well as having to send lots of emails, both internally and externally. Overall a really inclusive experience.
Learnt Excel to a high level - am confident in using this in the future. Also learn't power BI and Power Query. Teams and outlook are also easy to use now. Learnt a lot about the finance industry in general as had talks with industry leaders regularly. Also learnt a lot about Centrica's current operations and the strategy in place Developed teamwork skills, communication skills as well as networking skills. Having to deliver a presentation also improved my general confidence.
Yes this is what I was most surprised about (and pleased with!) I felt like I was an intergral member of the team and carried out real work. I often did tasks independent of my manager, however I always received good feedback that allowed me to grow during the process. I carried out lots of individual projects, aswell as tasks that were vital for the teams success. I had lots of exposure to the business, and we even got the chance to speak to the CFO!
Support & Guidance
My Line manager always supported me and made the experience really good. Everyone in the team also supported me - which meant we had calls regularly as well as one on one catch ups. This allowed me to build a good relationship with the team. Had a very good mentor who always checked up on me and was a friend throughout the whole 7 weeks. Anytime I had an issue my manager always responded quickly, even if busy with meetings and other commitments.
The values of Centrica came to fruition. Everyone demonstrated great care and teamwork was stressed as important through the work I did. We had a townhall which we attended, where interims were discussed aswell as a Q and A with the CEO and CFO. We had online socials every Friday. This included all the interns and meant that we built a good network. We also had an in person social for all the finance interns and grads, which was a great way to meet new people.
Overall I really enjoyed and recommend the internship. I carried out really rewarding work and built a good relationship with a knowledgeable team. The company culture was very friendly and everyone showed immense levels of help throughout. Going into the internship I was nervous about the internship as it was online. However, having said that I had a really good time and it blew away my doubts. I would love to go back to Centrica, and hopefully get some more in real life experience with my team and the company as a whole!
Make sure you research the companies values, and think about why you honestly want to apply to your chosen stream. Ac advice : be yourself! everyone wants you to do well, so don't try and think people are trying to trick you out. Also, don't try and compete with other interns (you can all get the internship!) Preparing for day 1 : be yourself and be ready to be confused. This is natural, and will hopefully become more understandable towards the end of the internship. Remember, no one is expecting you to know everything!
Internship (1-4 Months)