Support & Guidance
- 1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis.
- 2. Have you learnt any new skills, or developed your existing skills?
- How would you rate the training provided during your experience?
- How would you rate your development of industry-specific skills during the experience?
- How would you rate your development of personal / soft skills during the experience?
- Please rate how these skills have helped you in your career development
- 3. Were you given much responsibility during your placement / internship?
- Please rate how meaningful the work you were doing was
- 4. How much support and guidance did you receive during your placement / internship?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from your line manager?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from the wider team?
- 5. What was the company culture and general atmosphere like?
- How would you rate the inclusiveness of the culture?
- How would you rate the social opportunities?
- How would you rate the diversity initiatives?
- How would you rate the charity, sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives?
- 6. To what extent did you enjoy your placement / internship?
- Please rate your level of enjoyment on your placement / internship
- Please rate how your experience met your expectations
- Please rate the future employment prospects at GSK
- 7. Would you recommend GSK to a friend?
- 8. What advice would you give to others applying to GSK
I was responsible for data cleaning activities on several oncology clinical trials. This includes everything from reviewing incoming data in the data capture system to reconciling the lab samples. I attended various meetings such as central study team meetings where I met with everyone involved in the study and listened to their updates and provided my own. as well as meeting with my own team to divide responsibilities.
Yes! All the soft skills like professional working, teamwork, independent working, time management, organisation, running meetings and confidence. Hard skills such as data cleaning, clinical trials, ICH GCP, basic programming (because I was interested, not because I had to).
Yes. I was given a reasonable amount of responsibility. I was given whole tasks that I was responsible for the end-to-end execution of as well as smaller tasks. I was not given as much responsibility as other placement students in the same role. That is more dependent on the manager and available work as well as the therapeutic area you specialise in.
Support & Guidance
I had a very nice line manager who I met with weekly. She was able to answer all study related questions and provide me with some work. I had an excellent mentor who I also met weekly who was incredibly supportive and offered constant guidance. For the overall placement programme, there were other people we could go to for support if necessary. Our contract organisation SRG were available but were not always that helpful.
Amazing! Everyone at GSK is incredibly friendly and open. I spent the year working from home so to network I would email random people I found on the intranet whose job I thought was interesting. 99% of the time they were happy to have a call and chat to me. I think working here has spoilt all other companies for me because everyone is so nice and understanding and easy to work with.
I really enjoyed it. The majority of the unenjoyable parts were due to Covid-19, not GSK or the work. I was working from home for the whole year, which was sometimes a bit isolating and dull. I also found that sometimes I was lacking work and bored but there were people I could go to. Even though I am not sure I would return to the job, I have no regrets.
Be yourself. In the interviews they are looking for nice people with potential, rather than people with lots of experience. If you can come across as happy and interested in the role/company you will be fine. They want people who will fit in with the culture and are willing to learn. Think of examples of how you have met their core values, rather than industry experience.
Placement Year (10 Months+)
Pharmaceutical, Biology, Medical/Health