Support & Guidance
- 1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis.
- 2. Have you learnt any new skills, or developed your existing skills?
- How would you rate the training provided during your experience?
- How would you rate your development of industry-specific skills during the experience?
- How would you rate your development of personal / soft skills during the experience?
- Please rate how these skills have helped you in your career development
- 3. Were you given much responsibility during your placement / internship?
- Please rate how meaningful the work you were doing was
- 4. How much support and guidance did you receive during your placement / internship?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from your line manager?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from the wider team?
- 5. What was the company culture and general atmosphere like?
- How would you rate the inclusiveness of the culture?
- How would you rate the social opportunities?
- How would you rate the diversity initiatives?
- How would you rate the charity, sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives?
- 6. To what extent did you enjoy your placement / internship?
- Please rate your level of enjoyment on your placement / internship
- Please rate how your experience met your expectations
- Please rate the future employment prospects at Stanley Black & Decker
- 7. Would you recommend Stanley Black & Decker to a friend?
- 8. What advice would you give to others applying to Stanley Black & Decker
Was responsible for handling the existing product portfolio for hammers, assembly and demolition, as well as working on the New Product Innovations (NPI) projects over the Strat period of 2022-24. Current products involved tasks like handling discontinuations of items during the SKU RAT process, as well the day to day management of the category. NPI tasks included being involved in intense discussions with engineering regarding feature sets of hammers and addressing market needs/end user preferences.
Having to do the entirety of the placement online has meant that I have definitely learnt new skills both personally and professionally. From a personal sense I have been able to network with a wide range of colleagues from all around the world. I have also grown a lot in autonomy and have been given the ability to perform high level tasks. Professional skills I have gained are things like leadership - where I have been driving large NPI projects.
I was definitely given more responsibility than I was expecting prior to beginning with SBD. This was a good thing because it gave me exposure to a wide variety of tasks and helped me to develop on my existing skills and learn new skills.
Support & Guidance
At the start I met with the current intern on a weekly basis. Throughout the year kept a strong rhythm with my boss of meeting at least twice a week for an hour to go through general tasks, and once a week for half an hour for a deep dive into a specific task.
The culture was very competitive and results focused.
It was a very tough year for me personally due to having to do the whole placement online, but I definitely enjoyed the work I was involved in.
Be prepared to work very hard! There is a lot to learn.
Placement Year (10 Months+)