- 1. Please give an overview of the insight and what was involved on a day-to-day basis.
- 2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
- How would you rate the training provided during your experience?
- How would you rate the knowledge learned around industry-specific skills during the experience?
- How would you rate the knowledge learned around personal or professional skills during the experience?
- Please rate how the knowledge learned has helped you with regards to your career development
- 3. What was it like understanding all about the business and potential roles available?
- Please rate how insightful you found the insight
- How would you rate the structure of the insight
- How would you rate business leader involvement during the insight
- 4. What was the company culture and general atmosphere like?
- How would you rate the inclusiveness of the culture?
- How would you rate the networking opportunities?
- Please rate how valued you felt during your insight?
- 5. To what extent did you enjoy the insight?
- Please rate your level of enjoyment on the insight
- Please rate how your experience met your expectations
- Please rate the future employment prospects at Herbert Smith Freehills
- 7. Would you recommend Herbert Smith Freehills to a friend?
- 8. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Herbert Smith Freehills
Across two departments, I completed work on live matters for my supervisors, and assisted other associates and trainees in each department with their work. I attended several presentations on the different departments in the firm, as well as information sessions on how to write appropriately and the qualification process, and several social events. I was encouraged to meet solicitors at all stages of their career remotely, and to ask them about their experiences.
I have learned how to format a note in an appropriate manner, and how to use the internal IT systems. Working across the departments has also strengthened my ability to collaborate across teams, and my ability to manage my time effectively. I also enjoyed being able to use my commercial awareness in practice, as the matters I worked on required a solid understanding of the wider context around them.
I had undertaken a lot of research into the firm's roles and business before joining, but it was fantastic to gain a new perspective on each. I was encouraged to speak to as many people at the firm as possible, and I gained a much better understanding of what each person's role involved at different stages of their careers, as well as the business's work, strategy, and culture.
The culture was friendly, approachable, and professional. Everyone that I spoke to was very approachable and personable, and happy to answer my numerous questions about their work and experiences at the firm. The firm has several internal and external diversity networks that employees are encouraged to participate in, and they undertake a lot of pro bono work, both in the local community and globally.
I loved every moment of the vacation scheme. The structure of it was excellent, and even though it was held remotely, a lot of effort was put into making sure I had enough contact with who I was working with. The work was interesting and stimulating, and the people I worked with were friendly, professional, and great to talk to. My time on the vacation scheme has flown by!
Make sure you explain in your application why you want to pursue commercial law, why you would be a strong candidate, and why you would like to work at Herbert Smith Freehills specifically. Don't try to fit into a stereotypical mould, as they are not looking for any particular type of person, but want to see your individuality and personality come through, so be yourself!
Insight / Vacation Scheme (< 4 Weeks)