- 1. Please give an overview of the insight and what was involved on a day-to-day basis.
- 2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
- How would you rate the training provided during your experience?
- How would you rate the knowledge learned around industry-specific skills during the experience?
- How would you rate the knowledge learned around personal or professional skills during the experience?
- Please rate how the knowledge learned has helped you with regards to your career development
- 3. What was it like understanding all about the business and potential roles available?
- Please rate how insightful you found the insight
- How would you rate the structure of the insight
- How would you rate business leader involvement during the insight
- 4. What was the company culture and general atmosphere like?
- How would you rate the inclusiveness of the culture?
- How would you rate the networking opportunities?
- Please rate how valued you felt during your insight?
- 5. To what extent did you enjoy the insight?
- Please rate your level of enjoyment on the insight
- Please rate how your experience met your expectations
- Please rate the future employment prospects at Gateley Legal
- 7. Would you recommend Gateley Legal to a friend?
- 8. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Gateley Legal
We were required to carry out tasks for a number of departments including: commercial; banking and finance; restructuring; and construction. We also attended a number of talks from other departments in the firm including: employment; tax; pensions; private client; dispute resolution; and more. There were a lot of opportunities to network across the different offices via Teams calls and messages. Towards the end of the week, we were interviewed for a training contract.
The placement helped me to develop on my existing skills such as communication, teamwork and networking. Time management was an important skill to have during the scheme as we were given multiple deadlines that we had to meet, whilst ensuring we still left sufficient time for more social activities, as getting to know other vacation scheme student, as well as professionals at the firm was important. I also developed on my IT skills, with the whole placement being virtual.
It was extremely interesting to get such a vast insight into the business and the potential roles available. It allowed me to ensure that my choice to potentially join the firm was the right one- it is important that trainees are the right fit for the culture of the business. It also allowed me to set my ambitions high, as speaking to associates and partners specialised in their fields was hugely motivating.
The company culture at the firm was overwhelmingly friendly and inviting. There were numerous talks on the importance of inclusivity, which I found very reassuring. There was a big push on collaboration and teamwork, which is something I feel is extremely valuable in a professional environment. The main thing that stood out to me was the fact that as a vacation scheme student I did not at one point feel inferior or intimidated and felt more than comfortable speaking to partners on a more personal level.
I thoroughly enjoyed the vacation scheme; even to the point that I was sad when the week was over! It has made me hugely excited for my future prospects, as having the opportunity to work at a firm like Gateley would be a dream come true. The week was full of engaging talks and challenging tasks, as well as fun social events. I would definitely recommend the placement to anyone as I loved every moment of it.
My number one tip would be to just be yourself! Gateley is a firm that values personal identity- they do not want you to just be a cog in a machine. Be confident and bring your full self to the table, as this is what I believe they are looking for. The application process is not easy but it is well worth the result- even if the result is only a vacation scheme and not a training contract!
Insight / Vacation Scheme (< 4 Weeks)
Yorkshire and Humberside