Support & Guidance
- 1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis.
- 2. Have you learnt any new skills, or developed your existing skills?
- How would you rate the training provided during your experience?
- How would you rate your development of industry-specific skills during the experience?
- How would you rate your development of personal / soft skills during the experience?
- Please rate how these skills have helped you in your career development
- 3. Were you given much responsibility during your placement / internship?
- Please rate how meaningful the work you were doing was
- 4. How much support and guidance did you receive during your placement / internship?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from your line manager?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from the wider team?
- 5. What was the company culture and general atmosphere like?
- How would you rate the inclusiveness of the culture?
- How would you rate the social opportunities?
- How would you rate the diversity initiatives?
- How would you rate the charity, sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives?
- 6. To what extent did you enjoy your placement / internship?
- Please rate your level of enjoyment on your placement / internship
- Please rate how your experience met your expectations
- Please rate the future employment prospects at GSK
- 7. Would you recommend GSK to a friend?
- 8. What advice would you give to others applying to GSK
Process engineering is about developing and optimising a process which is used to manufacture a product. Working within R&D consumer healthcare, I had the opportunity to understand products such as toothpaste and denture care products and their manufacturing processes. Day to day, my role involved working on engineering documentation such as risk assessments and manufacturing instructions. Due to the pandemic, my opportunity to carry out my own research project was delayed and shortened however the role also involves planning and carrying out a research project which aids the team's understanding of the products we make.
I have developed several skills during this placement year. My confidence in the workplace has significantly improved due to my experience working with colleagues on meaningful work. My technical knowledge of manufacturing processes has massively improved as i have gained an understanding of the practical elements which are considered when looking at developing a process. I've also developed my communication and decision making skills from working in teams towards projects and logically thinking to make informed decisions about tasks being carried out.
Due to the pandemic the uptake of responsibility was hindered significantly due to the uncertainty about when project work started. However I was able to participate in work with meaningful projects with real world implication. As the year went on, I was given more responsibility which aligned with the lifting of restrictions. There was a good amount of support provided throughout which meant that whilst being given responsibility I was never left without a point of guidance.
Support & Guidance
The support during this placement was fantastic. The site culture was extremely open and the majority of individuals seemed happy to take out time to discuss their work and experience. I found that this acted as a great source of support as I felt comfortable to reach out to any individual that I felt would be able to support my queries. My manager was extremely approachable and happy to provide support and guidance at any time.
The company culture was great. Despite the virtual nature, there were various different initiatives that were planned to bring people together during these difficult times. There was lots of talk of inclusivity and openness which was encouraging and created a positive atmosphere. Social events were minimal during the year due to the pandemic however my team and I were able to do some socials once things began to open up. We had several charity initiatives across the year which also brought people together
Overall I enjoyed my placement. Despite having less direct opportunities provided by my team due to the pandemic, I was able to participate in various virtual initiatives which I would have otherwise never had the chance to experience. As a whole I really enjoyed the placement as a result. There was a great work-life balance which meant that I could learn lots whilst taking time to enjoy myself during the placement year. I would definitely come back to the company
I would advise individuals to look into the company, it's culture and values as these are at the forefront of day to day activities. The application process was relatively simple and the assessment centre involved a technical interview, a presentation and a strength based interview. I would advise the emphasis on going to the interview and assessing the fit of the team and company. I have been inspired by the development opportunities throughout this company and would recommend individuals to look into these.
Placement Year (10 Months+)