8.3/10

• Organisation
    6.6
  • Socialising

Interned in the MME team in Greater Manchester

1. To what extent did you enjoy the virtual experience?
  2. It was very insightful and I was able to improve many of my skills and meet many people.
    I had the opportunity to intern in the MME team in Greater Manchester where I had to do multiple tasks required by my placement manager.
    Throughout my internship I shadowed a wide range of team members which allowed me to get more knowledge on the banking sector and how a big corporate works.

3. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
  4. I was surrounded and mentored by my placement manager who scheduled daily calls with me and gave me some tasks to do. My final project was to deliver a 1 hour long presentation to my team and their feedback was extremely valuable.
    Moreover, we had to work as a group with other interns and an ERG. We really felt that the work we were doing would definitely help this ERG and felt valued.

5. How much guidance/support did you receive during the virtual experience?
  6. I was supported by different people: my placement manager who guide through my daily task, my grad coach who was here to answer any kind of question on the internship itself and On-Program Manager who was mentoring me and other interns on the overall internship experience.

7. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
  8. I believe that all the skills which I learned or improved are definitely transferable to my studies and beyond.
    There was a strong emphasis on personal development skills such as agility or change resilience which are skills to improve daily.
    Also I have more hard skills such as networking, or accounting concepts which I learned with my placement and through online courses available under HSBC University which I found invaluable.

9. How well structured was the virtual experience?
  10. It was extremely well done. As it was something new for everyone, we were well informed and it all went very smoothly. I believe the internship could not have gone better without the Internship Programme Team who were efficient and always here to guide us. We were able to participate in a wide range of events as if the virtual barrier disappeared. We also had socials with the other interns!

11. How was the general atmosphere during your virtual experience?
  12. The interns cohort was incredibly friendly. I feel like we all got along very well and were able to spend time off work during socials together. Thanks to the internship projects I was able to meet all the interns and we always got along with well!

13. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?

14. 5/10

15. To what extent did the virtual experience help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
  16. I was able to shadow a wide range of people working in different area such as MME, BB, LC, Private Banking, GTRF, Corporate real estate, GLCM, etc.
    I was really able to ask many questions and understand the different roles within HSBC. And working under MME, I was able to work closely with relationship directors and have a taste of what it is like to have a full time role at HSBC.

17. How much did the virtual experience help you in understanding the company culture?
  18. HSBC culture is very important to all employees. We were introduced to its culture at the very beginning of our internship and whenever I met someone new, the culture of HSBC was something that was easily identifiable within everyone working at HSBC. I really like the fact how important this is to all employees.

19. How valuable was the content in helping you to decide on your future career path?
  20. As an economics student, I was able to get an amazing insight on the banking industry and it particularly resonated with me. I am now sure that it is something I would love to work in in my future career.

21. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?

22. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
  23. This internship was an open path to meet many new people and network! I am now in touch with people I met during my internship and everyone has been extremely friendly with me and I know that I can reach out to them if I need some advice.

25. We had socials roughly 3 times a week and everyday was a networking opportunity! Really enjoyed them thoroughly!

26. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?

27. 5/10

28. Would you recommend this virtual experience to a friend?
  29. I would 100% recommend this internship. It is an amazing opportunity to learn more about the banking industry, meet new people, develop skills and have an invaluable professional experience for students.

30. In addition to these questions, is there any extra information you would like to leave about your experiences on your work placement that other students may be interested in?

Virtual Experience