1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Mixed feelings. Great side projects. I, personally, did not like my role as it was too analytical and 'number' focused. However, it is a great job for people passionate about it. COVID-19 messed everything a little around and the work environment changed drastically as working from home and not being able to spend time with work colleagues.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My team was incredibly supportive and friendly. Everyone offered help whenever I needed it and actively helped me realise my potential and also explore different areas of the business.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Very good support from placement team and managers for first period. I felt valued and could reach out whenever I needed to.
After furlough period, things changed and support became limited as everyone tried to grasp with this new situation. Less frequent meetings and no proactive outreach from placement team anymore.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Busy during specific placement projects but generally quite bored as I'd usually finish my workload a couple hours before end of day.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I fulfilled a full-time job with responsibilities that no one else would take over if it weren't for me. Valued and needed member of the team with own decision-making.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Very niche job so not necessarily helping me in my degree studies. However, the soft skills learnt from placement year (teamwork, time management etc.) are invaluable and will be very useful for the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very friendly and welcoming. Lots of opportunities to explore different areas.
Very different once COVID hit and sales were down and obviously, when working from home.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Good initial planning but not very responsive to changing situations. I think if you liked your job etc, it was close to perfect (until March 2020) but they seemed to struggle with people who did not enjoy the job and how to properly support them.
After COVID, portion of the support team was furloughed and the rest did not bother to appropriately support us in those months.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Received lots of training in the beginning and regular feedback sessions.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very good company to work for if you know what job you want. However, they are not hiring due to COVID19 so nothing I even could consider.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Christmas dinner and a few activities throughout the year with placements as well as colleagues. Those were always great fun.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cheap cost of living but the town was not very safe. Would not move there again.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Felt too unsafe to even try it.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?