1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Overall I really enjoyed my placement at TUI. I enjoyed the variety of the workload and the level of responsibility we were given. There was a good balance between placement work and our individual roles. Our training was intense but well organised and everyone was incredibly supportive. I learnt a great range of skills that will be useful for my final year and future career. It’s a shame the pandemic changed some of our plans but I would definitely recommend the placement to any student looking to apply.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
TUI puts in a lot of effort to ensure everyone feels valued and are praised for their work. Colleagues are often rewarded for good results and we were often given positive feedback, which helped us do quality work. This is also incredibly helpful for us as placement students. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed being a part of a team and having the same level of responsibility as everyone else. It’s so helpful knowing that you’re a valuable part of the team and that you’re doing a good job.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
We were given a lot of guidance regarding the role and skills we needed to work on. We were also given opportunities to further work on our skills and work on our weaknesses. My manager and supervisors all made sure we knew we could reach out for help, support or advice regarding the workload or if there was anything we were struggling with. We also had regular catchups and feedback sessions throughout the year so we could track our progress.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
On a day to day we have a lot of different tasks. We could also have unexpected tasks that would pop up on the day. We had regular meetings so good time-management is important. It was very rare for me to be bored at work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Both the training and my role at TUI will greatly assist me in my final year and in my future career. I have grown in confidence as well as my commercial knowledge. I have learned to take initiatives but also the value of being a part of a team. My time management skills will help me massively during my final year!
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The TUI head office had a great atmosphere! Everyone was friendly and super approachable. We worked closely with other teams as well which allowed us to learn about the different departments. The office really reflected its workforce’s personality and was a good balance between casual and professional. It was great to experience office life.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The TUI commercial placement scheme has been going on for a few years and it shows. The scheme was well organised and we had a clear plan of how the year was going to run, including our training and placement projects. Our training was well organised with a clear timetable, which included time to work on what we had just learned. The L&D team also invested a lot of their time for us and would support us with anything.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
TUI puts in a lot of effort investing in its workforce and that includes placement students. As well as our initial training at the start of the placement, we had regular catchups to see how we were progressing and any areas that still needed work. There was a good mix of training methods including online modules and trainings sessions held throughout the year. We also had a buddy system which allowed us to have a contact from a different department and someone to talk to about anything.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?