This review was written using a previous version of questions that
were updated in 2013
Shadowing Business and financial managers, along with a look into the retail and corporate finance side of the industry.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The placement was an enjoyable experience, with a lot of genuine and helpful people. I felt instantly accepted and a member of the team. Though I enjoyed my experience, I feel as though I could of done more to help.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was instantly allowed to partake in the morning meetings and learn about how employees were set targets, learning how the industry rewards its employees. I was included in business meetings and also meetings with potential and current clients.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I always had something to do or someone to shadow and when I had free time it was spent with members of the bank having lunch and discussing how I am doing and if there was anything that I would like to know about their establishment.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I could of been given more to do I feel, although I feel as though I was given a fair share to deal with which I appreciated greatly.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was not given a great responsibility, it was more of a learning experience then a hands on practical, though I was given some paper work and filing to help with in my first few days.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I developed better customer relations skill and a greater tolerance for unexpected situations arising.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Lovely friendly people with a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I was given an itinerary of the things I was to do which made things very organised, which I liked.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Work experience was my main investment, along with knowledge of the financial market.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very although I think at present my career is on a different path as of my University degree field.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I had personal obligation to family so I could not do anything above my work while there.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Low cost and good value.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Did not go out for nightlife as I was studying in my own time. Although I heard there were cocktail parties for interns.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?