Summer (Virtual) Vacation Scheme at Baker McKenzie

Banking and Finance Law Commercial Law Corporate Law Employment Law Human Rights Law Intellectual Property Law Legal/Law Sports and Media Law

Baker McKenzie is a Top Employer

9.9/10

This was a 2-week vacation scheme with one week spent in one department and another week spent in another department. I took part in live work, assessed exercises, pro bono work, committee meetings, social events and networking events.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at Baker McKenzie

Everyone was welcoming and proactive to in providing practical support throughout the scheme. Everyone was very understanding when I was experiencing technical difficulties. My trainee buddies were particularly great at making me feel an integrated part of the teams that I sat with and making sure that I got the experiences and opportunities that I was particularly interested in.

Everyone was happy to provide detailed explanations and the broader context of tasks. However, I was also trusted to figure things out for myself and use my own initiative.

I had finished my degree studies when I undertook this vacation scheme. However, this experience confirmed that I definitely want to pursue a career in commercial law at a global firm and it provided the opportunity to interview for a training contract, helping me to progress to the next stage of my career.

This differed between the two departments I was sat with. In my first week I had to be more proactive with getting work but in my second week my trainee buddy had prepared tasks for me to do in relation to an ongoing client matter. In both seats knowledge lawyers gave me 2 tasks to do in case I didn’t get any other work so there was always something to get on with.

The atmosphere was positive, supportive and progressive.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at Baker McKenzie

I was paid and the firm paid for me to have a takeaway during a quiz social.