1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my placement at Travelport. Everyday was different. I would work on a variety of tasks, a lot of my work was ad hoc. I had the opportunity to work with other teams on projects, which gave me more exposure to the organisation. Throughout my time I have learnt a lot more about the travel industry.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt comfortable giving my opinion and valued by my team. I gained a lot of responsibility over the time on my placement. I felt supported by my team/manager. It was nice to be encouraged by my colleagues on different projects.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given a lot of support from my manager. I would feel comfortable going to them if I was faced with an issue. Having one to one's was very useful. We were allocated a mentor, therefore I met up with them regularly to go through my work, progress or if I had any concerns.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It varied. Some days I would be really busy whereas some other days it would be quieter. I ensured I used my time wisely and prioritised tasks accordingly. There was always work to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Over my time on placement I have gained more responsibility. This was encouraging as it showed my team had trust in me. On certain projects I would manage them by myself, which was great. It was also helpful being able to run things past management if I had a query or needed advice.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The placement has allowed me to put what I have learnt at university into a real life setting. I have definitely become more confident and developed in time management, communication, excel and analytical skills. This will help me in university but also when I have a permanent job in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I enjoyed being in the office. I felt comfortable and everyone was friendly.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was organised well, we were given a lot of exposure and opportunities out of our job role. We had the CSR programme, where we were fundraising to donate money too our two chosen charities. We also had development sessions as well as the ability to speak to senior leadership team. However sometimes there was miscommunication.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The development sessions are useful, even though they all did not happen. There should be a final appraisal before the end of placement possibly.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Currently Travelport do not have a graduate scheme. However they have taken on previous interns to fill permanent job roles after university. Possibly if the suitable job role came available I would be interested, however I would have to move locations again.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I lived with 3 other interns which made it more enjoyable as we would go to events together. At the beginning there was a lot more plans however over time there seemed to not be as many. My team organised different socials as well which was good, such as going for meals.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
There was not much around the area where the office was. Our house was in a nice location, meaning it was expensive. There was not much around, some shops and pubs. You could get the train into London but this was expensive.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There was not much around Slough/Langley in regards to Nightlife. We sometimes went to Windsor to the pub / nightclubs. If you got the train to London/Reading etc there would be more available.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There was some opportunities such as the social club events who held quiz's, murder mystery nights etc. I wish there had been more.