1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed working for Toyota. The main reason I applied for this placement was to make sure I would enjoy a career in the automotive industry. I got an insight to each step of vehicle manufacturing and managed my own projects. I have learned a lot of industry relevant knowledge and gained many soft skills
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues treated me as an engineer, not like an intern or secretary, they were really supportive and helpful throughout my year. They were interested in my ideas and helped me develop. They included me in activities that would progress my learning and help me develop further and trusted me to liaise with contractors and hold presentation to different plant's engineers
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given as much support as I needed and asked for. Everything I didn't quite understand was explained and new activities were introduced well. My development and performance was regularly reviewed with the learning and development department and I was given guidance by them and my supervisors on how to progress even further.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
During the first few weeks I wasn't really busy. I had a period where most of my projects' busy parts overlapped and then I got really busy but overtime was always available, an encouraged so I managed to finish everything in time. Apart from that the workload is manageable, I even got a few more projects as I felt I could handle more.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given more responsibility than I expected. I did not quite expect to hold presentations to a large group of international engineers, and to lead design reviews etc, but my supervisors trusted me with these which I really appreciated and I feel it has had a positive effect on my development.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Everything I learnt here will help me finish university and in my future carrier. The technical knowledge and some soft skills such as presentation, confidence, report writing will help me greatly with my thesis and the experience, the insight and all the soft skills make me more employable and able to perform my future job with some previous experience.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Professional working environment, not very busy. People socialise a lot in the kitchen areas by cups of teas and coffees. Everyone is really friendly and helpful, always open for a little chat.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement programme was very well structured and planned out for the next year. The trainings, assignments and reviews were already set, any any prior requirements were communicated beforehand. Support for the assignment was always available and enough time was provided to prepare the work based assignments. Especially the welcome week was really well planned.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company has provided us really useful trainings that helped us perform our work better. Some trainings required a work based assignment and a presentation afterwards, these were all in scope and well supported by specific departments and colleagues. Tours were arranged so that we all see each part of the car factory, including the engine plant in Wales.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I will definitely apply for a grad position. I really liked working for the company. I see that many of my colleagues here has progressed a lot during their career and reached high positions through hard work. Most people here have been working here for decades, that tells me it is a good workplace.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The company has invited all new starters for a social event before beginning the placement. This has helped us get to know each other and it made the welcome week easier, as we well all already familiar. New starters kept in touch throughout the year and social event were arranged occasionally.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
N/A, I lived in Birmingham throughout the year and commuted daily.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
N/A, again I remained in Birmingham.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?