Helped with the analytics side of the business, supporting the BI team. This was done through creating financial reports, looking at KPIs across products, and ad-hoc projects looking at the cost-benefit of MSDs activities.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Placement year has been great from both a social and personal development aspect.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Some colleagues you will become really close with, and rarely get treated as just a student.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
In my role, I was assigned a mentor who was a senior analyst. We would have regular weekly catch ups and I would often go to him whenever I needed help with an issue.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At the start of placement, work is slow, but this is expected because you are new to the job and learning. Later on, work would become much more frequent but there would still be phases of low work and phases of being very busy, however this is just like in a normal role.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The level of responsibility I was given in projects was much greater than expected, and much higher than any of my friends who were doing placements at other companies. It has set me up perfectly for my career after university.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I would not say work experience is too related to my degree since I study Mathematics and Economics.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone is really friendly, and our team would eat lunch together most days. It is also open plan so easy to talk to one another.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Well set up and easy to contact people if there ever were any issues.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Really well, often would be sent on training days and given training sessions at te start.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The graduate scheme looks good and covers a broad range of roles.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Really good social scene as there are lots of students.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Relatively standard living costs.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Hoddesdon is not so great but Hertford has a few nice bars/pubs.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I got involved in football, badminton and squash with work people outside of work.