1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It was very good, I was straight into completing work for internal and external clients so wasn't wasting any time doing silly tasks.
I was also given loads of opportunities to complete training in new softwares along with developing my knowledge in a number of programming languages which will benefit me in final year.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Youre expected to perform on the same level as the people on your team and be able to complete work to a high standard so I felt although you were known as the placement student you werent treated as one.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was on a small team of three so a lot of the work I carried out was with help from my manager or senior manager so I was able to gain knowledge from them during this time.
I feel like this gave me confidence when dealing with other senior members of staff.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The work I carried out was dependent on clients, I was busy most days as requests would come through and it did get busier during the middle of the month when we would have access to client data.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As I was only part of a small team I was given a lot of responsibility during my placement. Was able to deal with a number of senior members of staff as well as speaking to clients directly, which at the start was a bit daunting at the beginning.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Completed a number of online programming courses and obtained certificates which allowed me to gain the knowledge that I will need for completing modules in final year.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Calm environment, things that needed to be taken seriously were and a lot of the time it was just having a laugh with people.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Just as I started my team were moving to a new pillar so there was some mix up there but that was more just logistics and not any one fault. But overall very organised and you are assigned a business placement champion who you can speak to throughout your placement for help and advice.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm are keen for you to learn and develop your skill set. I was encouraged to develop my knowledge in a number of areas cause it would benefit me in the long term having knowledge in the software that the firm use and in general as well.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I hope that I will be offered a graduate role within the firm as I feel there is great opportunities within the firm.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, there was monthly get togethers of business placement students. But also in induction there are obviously other placement students that you usually get to know and hang around with for the remainder of your time there.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Very good, Belfast is good for living and the office is in a central location so easy to get to.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Good, there is always something for everyone and everything is within walking distance of each other.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
With colleagues, on the first friday of every month the firm goes for drinks to a local bar so you get to socialise with people there.
Outside of work there is loads of activities you can do especially through queens or ulster university whether it be sport or music there is a club.