Work on corporate and personal insolvencies. Varies widely, from trading a business to completing bank reconciliations.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I found working in the BR department really interesting, never a dull moment. Relaxed atmosphere in the office and the work was different each day. I had a brilliant manager so that helped a lot.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The team were great from managers all the way down. They have a type of open door policy for everyone. I think your direct manager is one of the most influential people during your time on placement and mine was absolutely brilliant.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
This office is really busy but they took time out to answer any silly questions I had. Genuinely couldn't of asked for better support.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Yes! Although I wanted lots of work so I could learn as much as I could while I was there and I definitely got that. That was what made it exciting to get up and go to work each day.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given as much responsibility as I asked for, and as much as is possible for a student. As I said, good manager.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
God I improved on so many things. They took the time to teach me things I really should have known before I went there. Every day was a school day there, I learnt a vast amount about finances, office environment even computer skills.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was very high paced and everyone has a big work load but the office was relaxed.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I had no set plan to work with, if I wanted to work they would encourage, help and teach me. If I didn't I could stay photo copying! There can't really be a plan as different cases come in everyday so the work load changes.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was given constant constructive feedback.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Got a job!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There wasn't too many students there. But HR helped me find a housemate etc, and after that social scene is good!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Drink,food & rent really cheap in comparison to the south of Ireland. Had plenty of my wages left over each month.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Belfast city, so great!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Like any other city there is loads to do. BDO also organize plenty of there own events