1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my intern ship! the people in my team were incredibly friendly, welcoming and supportive. I have gained so much from this intern ship, from confidence in a professional workplace to new skills. I completed a range of tasks and projects all of which I thoroughly enjoyed at my time with CRUK.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My immediate team was incredibly friendly, supportive and kind. I got along very well with everyone, and enjoyed spending time with them. We had regular socials, where the entire team got involved and had a great time. I felt appreciated by the team, and that my work was valued by them.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I cannot thank or praise my manager (and the team) enough as they were so supportive and helpful throughout my time here. I had weekly meetings with my manager to chat about how I was getting on, how I felt and if i needed any help, and she was always on hand if I needed her!
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I had a constant project which kept me busy, and was given side tasks to complete also. I always had enough work to do, and the additional tasks kept things interesting and varied. I never felt bored or like I didnt have enough work, as there was always plenty for me to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a fair amount of responsibility during my intern ship with CRUK. My main role was to research life science reagents, and then update information on the website. Whilst my work was reviewed, I was responsible for creating accurate and well written content for the website, which I really enjoyed.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have gained many valuable skills and training from my internship with CRUK ! I have been using various soft wares, which I had never before, which will be very useful for future roles. I have learnt so much valuable information and skills which has opened up various future employment possibilities
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I can only really speak for my team (Ximbio), but it was a very fun and friendly atmosphere. People worked very hard, but were there to chat and help when needed. Everyone got along, and made me feel welcome. It definitely was a really nice working environment to be in!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was fairly well organised, with regular intern meetings, training sessions and introductory meetings. When we all started our internship, there was several organised meetings to explain the different departments at CRUK, to help us get to know each other and to begin fundraising ( as a side intern project)
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I feel like CRUK invested quite a lot in me .
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would love to work for CRUK again in the future. I felt incredibly valued whilst completing my internship and appreciate how they treat their staff. The cause means a lot to me, and I love the work CRUK does. The staff are lovely and it was an all round great place to work.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes 100%! My team was very social, organising regular socials and activities - ranging from mini golf, going for meals, drinks or playing beer pong. We regularly ate lunch together also. The interns all hung out regularly, both in work at lunch etc and outside of work. We created a whatsapp group which was really nice.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Given that it was london, it was a fairly high cost of living. I was in stoke newington, in the north of london so had a easy commute to work- especially whilst the office was in islington. it was fairly expensive, but affordable with what you are paid as an intern if you were sensible
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Originally the office was in Angel (islington) which has a varied range of bars, restaurants and pubs (including a wetherspoons). However it was fairly expensive as an area. Halfway through the internship we relocated to stratford which has less bars and pubs nearby, although it is next to westfields which has plenty of restaurants.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?