IBCM & GM Spring-Insight at Credit Suisse

Banking - Investment Banking/Finance

Credit Suisse is a Top Employer

8.8/10

I really enjoyed this insight. It was my first insight week and the way thy structured the content was quite useful (we had different courses with educational content about banking that we had to complete during the course). Also, the talks from the staff were very informative and gave me a clear picture of what the people from each division do on a daily basis at Credit Suisse.

I felt from the beginning that they encouraged everyone to participate. They placed emphasis on the fact that all questions were welcome, and that there were not stupid ones. I felt that they treated me very humanly, it was very individual, and I liked that you feel that you are talking with a group of people and not with a group of robots. I sent several emails to staff, and they replied me as soon as they could, which is great taking into account they had 50 people in the course.

I believe the course was organised really well. Not only they managed to come up with a new course (because of it being virtual), but also with platforms that made that content accessible. We were handed a booklet with information for each day (all the links were there, so everything we were gonna need was already there), as well as special information for each day, which we received by email the day before the respective day. Also, as I said, everything I asked the staff was solved quickly, so they were really caring for us.

I think these skills are very difficult to access unless you do a course of this type. The fact that you can get plunged in the culture of Credit Suisse, as well as speak with actual professionals in the field you want to work in in the future, being able to ask them any questions that came to my mind, made this program invaluable to me. Also, the amount of networking I did during the week was insane, I had never networked so much in my life, without a doubt, and it’s amazing because you get to know the people with whom you share lots of interests.

As I said, the course was structured very well. They gave us a handbook with information for each day. Everything was in that handbook, not only the event we had and the time, but also the link of access to it. Also, we had a website where we could access information about the rest of the participants, as well as educational content that gave us an insight into Investment Banking.

The atmosphere during the insight was super nice. From my experience, I can say that the people that I talked to were always willing to help me in any doubt they had, as I did when they asked me. This created a more positive environment where I felt very confident. It’s true that others were behaving a bit like robots, which I really don’t like, but that’s something I was expecting. In general, people were very nice and I believe we will keep in touch.

In terms of understanding what it would be like to have a full-time role with the firm, this insight was very useful as well. This question overlaps with the one of the firm’s culture, as I believe very much of a daily basis of the work in the firm will be influenced by the culture of the firm. But if I had to summarise in 2 words how I expect to work in Credit Suisse to be like, I would choose “supportive” and “professional”.

From the beginning they made very clear what the values of the company were. What I found very insightful were the morning talks held by the staff from different divisions. They talked about their story and reflected very well several aspects of the company: human touch, enthusiasm for their work, perseverance, teamwork, resilience, support, willingness to keep learning. I think the course was necessary for me to understand much more the working style of each division.

It was effective, as I finally decided where I want to work in my future career path.

They would have covered by expenses, but due to Covid 19 everything was virtual.

There were opportunities each day: from the facebook group to the networking sessions. It was very easy to contact the employees of the firm as we were provided with their contact information if we asked for it.

They were very insightful and helpful. Although I have to say that the networking session held in one of the remote servers failed, and I only had access to 4 out of 8 rooms we were given access to (each room represented a division in Credit Suisse), which was a shame as I really wanted to ask questions in the other rooms.

More or less, they didn’t really talk about that. I would have enjoyed it if they did.

Absolutely.