Women's Immersion Programme Intern at Nomura

Banking/Finance
Nomura  is a Top Employer

7.2/10

6.3

The Women’s Immersion Programme will be a two week paid internship working with a team in one of our Investment Banking, Global Markets, and Corporate Infrastructure divisions. This desk based opportunity will increase your exposure to and understanding of the fundamentals of investment banking; gain real-life experience in a fast-paced environment; identify valuable career development skills; meet new people and develop a network for career information and support.

It was thoroughly enjoyable throughout, even though presented virtually due to the Covid-19 outbreak. The presenters were all very friendly and supportive throughout and we were still able to do a group presentation and a group stock-picking simulation.

Considering that we had 2 different training teams working with us throughout the 3 days, we definitely felt like they were very committed to upskilling us and providing us with the full experience that they had wanted to but were unable to due to Covid-19.

We were able to contact one of three HR members throughout. They were easily contactable at all times, and we also had Tech support for if ever there was an issue with Zoom. We were also assigned a buddy if ever we had any questions and to give us a more personal view into the day-to-day life of someone in the industry.

I feel like some parts of the training were a bit basic and therefore, only really serves as a foundation for the future, but a strong foundation nonetheless. The soft skills session was very intense and I do feel that further developing those soft skills is vital for the rest of my life.

Very well structured and variety was incorporated into the timetable.

It was very friendly throughout and everyone was really supportive of our learning and understanding where some of us perhaps didn't have a degree background in finance.

As previously stated, they invested in two separate training groups in order to ensure that we were given a varied and informative experience of the industry.

While it definitely gave a strong idea of the culture of the firm, we only got to hear from about 1 person per division and not from all divisions and therefore, knowing about what sort of tasks to expect and which areas we might be most interested in was a bit difficult.

We were given a very comprehensive view of Nomura's culture, not just in it's EMEA offices, but also an idea globally. It seems to have very strong values at the core and seems a really friendly place to work.

Quite valuable, however, I would have quite liked to also hear about different departments within Nomura, as not all of them were mentioned. Overall, it does support my earlier views for my future career.

We would have been reimbursed expenses, however, due to Covid-19, no costs were incurred for the virtual internship.

They were a lot more limited than usual, purely due to it being a virtual programme. We were still able to network on LinkedIn and email was encouraged, so the opportunities were already as good as can be expected in such a situation.

We were still able to network with each other using the virtual platforms on our own in the mornings before the programme started.

Not as much, due to time already being so limited, that these things got pushed a bit more into the background.

If someone is interested or even curious about Investment Banking or Global Markets, I would recommend that they apply to this programme, just because it provides such an in-depth introduction to the industry.